Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: out of control board
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CherylH
(Georgia)

09/22/2005 8:04 AM  
Our neighborhood has 40 single family homes, 4 1/2 yrs. old. I am on the board for the first time, and I've only lived here for a year. There seems to be a lot of old bad feeling between many of the board members, some from the original bunch. Looking over the records, I have discovered that everyone has kept the corp. records to themselves thinking they are personal property and won't turn them over. I have also dicovered that some records just weren't kept.perhaps that's why they won't turn them over. The only homes that have wierd stuff approved in their front yards are the homes of the board members. The e-mails, letter etc... fly back and forth with personal attacks and insults. The same bunch are on the board year after year. Other neighbors don't want to deal with any of them and avoid them at all cost. This is why no one comes to meeting or social get togethers. There are several families like myself who have moved in and are not part of that old bad blood. We want our HOA to run professionally and responsibly. My questions is; Are there any laws that can hold these people accountable for their record keeping? Is there a code of ethics out there to cover an HOA board? BTW we live in Georgia in regards to law. Any feedback is great.
LisaS
(Illinois)

09/24/2005 4:50 PM  
The first place to go is your state website. If there there is an HOA law, it should be there, or should refer you on how to get help.

I am in Illinois, and there is state law regarding what records must be kept, for how long, etc.

Being a new Board member, and new to your community, hopefully you can mend some fences and move the community forward as an 'impartial party'. Sometimes a friendly face and some neighborly bonding can help to turn something like this around.

I wish you luck- it seems like you probably have your work cut out for you. But I encourage you to persevere. I always think- if not me on the Board then who?
lisa
DSmith
(California)

10/07/2005 2:46 AM  
Cheryl I feel for you and have nothing to offer but my support of your endeavor and to congratulate you for getting on the board and trying to make a difference. The Board in my place is Out Of Control as well. There isn't nor has there ever been any accountability, which has led to homeowner apathy creating more of a chasm in relationships. I've only been here for 6 months and they are trying to pass a sideing assessment/mold remediation/whatever they can call it to get it passed. Yes there is a mold/siding/drainage problem. But does it really take $25,000 to fix (oh and as of last week when the price was finalized: payment's due on 12/01/05) By being the new kid on the block, I still have hope - hope that the board will ultimately do right by the community - hope that the community will take a stand - hope that there will be some accountability. I've asked to see the substantiating documentation to support such a high figure - but was humiliated in front of the meeting. (Welcome to the real world, little lady, yeah the price has gone up, but gas used to a buck fifty a gallon and you don't see me crying do ya?)and then "You obviously don't comprehend the difference between value and cost and what we're adding here is value" HUH?? Well, this "little lady" is a Sr VP at a Fortune 100 co. A Six million dollar budget doesn't even register with me, I deal with those numbers before lunch! but it does when you're talking about re-stuccoing, replacing trim boards, and fixing drainage? It is obviously out of line but everyone here is so "Once bitten twice shy" it's like leading lambs to slaughter. The process has taken 3 years to get to this point (delays they write off to 9/11 and the war, when I mentioned that 9/11 happened a full year before the bidding process, well, just imagine)and now we have to vote by 11/1 (conveniently before 11/05 when they are required to tell us if they are raising our fees)payment's due on 12/1 and we're going to have the Beverly Hills of this town. AMAZING. And now I'm really sorry as I haven't done anything to help you Cheryl, I just needed to vent.

BUT,Once again Good on you for getting involved - bring some of your own team to the board, get some things accomplished and you'll be a hero.
LyndaS
(Arizona)

10/07/2005 6:23 AM  
You might want to get a list of the owners names and address from your associations and sit down and write them all a letter and explain it's time for some changes.

When I moved here it was the same way. The rules were set 20 years ago and although most of the original owners had sold, the few that were left seemed to still be controlling things. Once I spoke up and asked for everyone to come to the meetings so we can change things, they started talking to me at the mail box or at the pool. So you might be surpised at how many other people want things to change too, they just don't want to do anything about it. Go for it. Good Luck.
LisaS
(Illinois)

10/08/2005 4:47 PM  
Request in writing to view the documentation that rationalizes the $25,000. You are entitled to do so within 30 days in most states.

As well, carefully read the Declaration or Covenants documents. Many allow for owners to petition to move the membership to a vote when there are unhappy homeowners who don't want to pay more. This backdoor tactic can often render a veto of increases which are unreasonable. The key is getting enough owners to care.

Best of Luck,
Lisa
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > out of control board

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement