Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 16, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Colorado/ How many are authorized in a condominiums
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RichardL7
(Colorado)

10/02/2017 1:58 PM  
The question comes up as to how man family members are authorized in a Condominium of about 1400 S.F. and has 3 Bed rooms. Some of us from the Association feel that some are exploiting our association by having a lot more then should be allowed. Let it be known that our bylaws do not give any info on this subject. Some guide lines would help.Not sure where to check in Colorado. Any ideas??
R.L.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/02/2017 2:37 PM  
If there is nothing in your bylaws or CCRs/Deed Restrictions, then it's going to be hard to enforce a limit. Many localities have laws regarding number of people in a dwelling, so you might want to research your city/town/local laws. Some of these laws might only apply to unrelated persons so read carefully. Assuming there are limits in law, it would not be up to the association to enforce, you would need to contact the jurisdiction and let them handle it.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/02/2017 3:12 PM  
The issue would be with code enforcement.

You can always make a complaint and let the County investigate.

Keep in mind, and I understand that this is likely not what you are talking about, the fair housing act prohibits discrimination on familial status. Makes sense. Who wants to say to parents that the child they just have put them over the limit of occupants, so you need to move.

Having had a daughter who went to school in Fort Collins, I know that some Counties and Cities do have limitations on the number of unrelated individuals living in a home. Hence, my suggestion to contact your code enforcement department.
KerryL1
(California)

10/02/2017 3:27 PM  
I agree with others to look to your local muni codes. The limit might be 2 per bedroom, for instance, and may not require they be related. Or it might even be 2 + 2, which means 2 per bedroom plus 2 more.

What do you mean that some may be "exploiting" your HOA by having too many?
MichelleK5
(New York)

10/02/2017 4:27 PM  
To give you an idea of how many people can legally live together in some parts of the country, here's some info. on NYC
The code for apartments, and one and two family homes is: 80 sq ft per person.

So it's the total square footage of the dwelling, minus the bathroom and hallways as those aren't considered "livable."

In addition, it also allows one child, under four, for every person on the lease. That can be a lot people in a very small space and it's perfectly legal.

Like others have said, find out what the code is in your municipality.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/03/2017 12:46 AM  
Our 30 year old docs don't give a number. Instead they refer to a "single family" which is an archaic term nowadays. We're changing our documents to say "2 per bedroom, plus 1".
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/03/2017 1:48 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 10/03/2017 12:46 AM
Our 30 year old docs don't give a number. Instead they refer to a "single family" which is an archaic term nowadays. We're changing our documents to say "2 per bedroom, plus 1".

So if I own a two bedroom home in your community, 2 adults, 2 children and my wife is pregnant with twins what happens when she gives birth?

I think such a situation would be covered under the fair housing act.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

10/03/2017 2:15 AM  
Check with your local City and / or County Ordinances. As others noted this is most likely where you will find the information.
GenoS
(Florida)

10/03/2017 2:33 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 10/03/2017 1:48 AM
So if I own a two bedroom home in your community, 2 adults, 2 children and my wife is pregnant with twins what happens when she gives birth?

I think such a situation would be covered under the fair housing act.

HUD believes that an occupancy of 2 persons per bedroom, as a general rule, is reasonable (see pg 7).

We allow 2 per BR plus one so we are more than reasonable. As much as I've wished someone like you (or several like you) lived in my HOA, Tim, ... you'd have to move. At the very least, we would try to enforce the limit.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/03/2017 3:29 AM  
problem is, their determination is not specific.
They use terms like large and small vs. actual square footage.

Hence, it would always be a case by case basis for any complaint filed with HUD.
MichelleK5
(New York)

10/06/2017 7:48 AM  
In NYC, the laws for apartments, and one and two bedroom homes are the same, and they're very convoluted.

But the gist of it is; one person per 80 sq ft. The 80 sq ft doesn't include bathrooms, foyers, hallways etc.

So if an apartment is 800 sq ft. you would subtract whatever the square footage of the bathroom and hallways is, let's say 100 sq
and then divide the 700 sq feet left into 80. That would allow up to 8 people. That's pretty crowded but perfectly legal here.

AugustinD

10/06/2017 8:43 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 10/03/2017 3:29 AM
Hence, it would always be a case by case basis for any complaint filed with HUD.

This site supports what TimB4 wrote: https://www.cnyc.com/code/newsletters/1996/1996-aut-crowding.htm
. Yet I think it is also important to note that HUD is at least as concerned about overcrowding and the negative effects this has on children. See for example Section 1 of the following HUD report: https://www.huduser.gov/publications/pdf/measuring_overcrowding_in_hsg.pdf .

As interested, see also
http://www.nmhc.org/uploadedFiles/Articles/External_Resources/Fair%20Housing%20White%20Paper%202016-03%20FINAL.pdf

http://petriepettit.com/blog/landlord-tenant/occupancy-standards-not-as-simple-as-2-persons-per-bedroom

and other sites on the web.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Colorado/ How many are authorized in a condominiums

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement