Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, September 23, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Roots Caused damage
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GeorgeN3
(California)

09/12/2017 9:12 PM  
Folks - I am new to the forum . I would like your advice please.
My HOA trees have crept into the backyard and damaged the concrete. HOA removed the trees and had an arborist indeed confirm that the damage is from the HOA trees and not from anything else.

The damage is about 30-40K , I am asking the HOA to fix the damage and they have gone silent on me.
What are my options.

Thanks - George
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/12/2017 9:23 PM  
Posted By GeorgeN3 on 09/12/2017 9:12 PM
Folks - I am new to the forum . I would like your advice please.
My HOA trees have crept into the backyard and damaged the concrete. HOA removed the trees and had an arborist indeed confirm that the damage is from the HOA trees and not from anything else.

The damage is about 30-40K , I am asking the HOA to fix the damage and they have gone silent on me.
What are my options.

Thanks - George

Send them a letter via "Certified Return Receipt" with the information and ask for a response within 30 days or less of their receipt. If they do not respond or not as you would like ... you then potentially need to ask an attorney to send a demand letter. The attorney will note the information in your governing documents and your State Laws noting responsibility. Hopefully, they will respond to your letter, or the attorney letter, if not your alternative is potentially legal action in a civil court.
GeorgeN3
(California)

09/12/2017 9:27 PM  
Thank you for your quick response.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/12/2017 10:24 PM  
Posted By GeorgeN3 on 09/12/2017 9:12 PM

What are my options.

If they are no longer replying to your communications, the options are (as I see them):

Homeowners Insurance
Consult with an attorney to see what legal options are available to you (along with approx. cost)
Fix the issue yourself
Live with the damage

AugustinD

09/13/2017 4:32 AM  
JanetB2's approach is good. For a couple years, my HOA went back and forth on who was responsible for repairing damage to sewer lines my HOA's trees were doing. Ultimately, and with a new HOA attorney, the HOA took responsibility for the damage and settled all claims. You may also want to review your HOA's Declaration for the part on the HOA's "maintenance responsibility." Typically HOAs are responsible to maintain common elements (including trees on common element land) so that damage to Owners' property does not emanate from the common elements.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

09/13/2017 6:41 AM  
All the suggestions are good, but I would also remind you that you might not have heard anything because the HOA has contacted its insurance company and is waiting for a response (and you know how they can delay, especially if you're looking for a $30-$40K payout). You didn't say how long ago you contacted them, but I would agree it's rude not to say anything (they could at least let you know what's being done and when you can expect a response).

DaveD3
(Michigan)

09/13/2017 7:49 AM  
Trees crept into the yard and did 30-40k in damage to concrete?

If I take a generous approach to pricing, that suggests that these trees damaged over 5000 square feet of concrete.

Exactly how did that much concrete get damaged by creeping trees? And why was concrete placed so close to these trees that such damage could occur to begin with.

CjC
(Maryland)

09/13/2017 8:28 AM  
I was wondering how much concrete too. Do you actually mean the foundation of your house or a patio?
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/13/2017 10:16 AM  
I would call your insurance company. Let them fix it. They will go after the HOA if there's actually fault there.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/14/2017 7:47 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 09/13/2017 10:16 AM
I would call your insurance company. Let them fix it. They will go after the HOA if there's actually fault there.

Douglas has another good approach ... pursue them all and hopefully one will pan out.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Roots Caused damage

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement