Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, November 25, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Hurricane Irma - Please let us know you are safe!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/10/2017 1:35 PM  
Please we would like our friends such as Geno and all others to please let us know if you are safe after Hurricane Irma. Also, if you guys need anything and if we can help, please let us know. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone ... life is more important that property. Property can be replaced whereas a life cannot. Please be safe!!!
PitA

09/10/2017 2:03 PM  
platitude
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/10/2017 2:16 PM  
Posted By PitA on 09/10/2017 2:03 PM
platitude

Maybe you should look in the mirror. YOU have not been on this site as long as many of us others and sometimes from your attitudes, do not care about others as much as the rest of us who have become close Internet "friends" over the many years. You can shove your "platitude" up your PITA!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/10/2017 2:41 PM  
Thank you for expressing your concern to those in Irma's path. We are getting plenty of Floridians fleeing up to my area. Heard that many hotels are booked up to Birmingham. La Quinta Inns are pet friendly hotels and heard those were all booked up in Alabama. Mississippi was next closest reservations. Can't forget our pets! Drove around town and saw many hotel parking lots full.

We will be in the path when it downgrades to a Tropical Storm in next few days. Same thing happened with Katrina years ago. Even this far north the wind and rain is still pretty strong. Needed a helmet to go check on my mail! So my thoughts and prayers are with the people in the path.

Former HOA President
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/10/2017 2:54 PM  
Hope you end up OK Melisa. I know they preferred the hurricane go up the East side of FL vs the west due to storm surges. Unfortunately your state will experience more than previously expected. We have three ankle biter pets who are our babies ... so I understand how those with pets feel when looking for a safe place to hang out. Unfortunately shelters which allow pets are some of the first to fill up.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/10/2017 3:39 PM  
Here in Columbia SC (middle of the state) we are on the eastern side of Irma's path. We are expecting wind gust 30 to 50 mph and 5-7 inches of rain beginning Monday. All in all nothing major here.

Local hotels here are full of many that fled FL, coastal GA (Savannah), and from Hilton Head to Beaufort SC area. It appears coastal GA and Hilton Head will be spared though many did evacuate. They will be getting high winds and rain but nothing severe.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/10/2017 4:06 PM  
You might need to watch out for the other affects such as tornadoes. Years ago we were in Orlando after Hurricane Erin went through. While the kids were enjoying the pool (because Disney World) was shut down. All the parents were keeping an eye on the potential tornados. I have an aunt who has a home in FL and TN. Yep the FL one is in Hurricane path and the TN one is expected to potentially be on lookout for tornados from hurricane Irma. Sigh ... On one hand was hoping he was in TN vs FL, but now worried about TN.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/10/2017 4:32 PM  
Long time ago used to be a "Tornado chaser". My now ex-Fiancé was an official weather spotter that determined if it was a tornado on the ground. I am now a trained spotter. So not a stranger to Tornados. That is why I am doing some storm prep now. Just bought a chainsaw. Lowes told me that they are already sold out of generators. Whenever they downplay "some wind" I know it's time to get ready. Auburn University has already planned to close Tuesday.

Pretty nervous for some of the trees around my house. Been remodeling my house and garage has been a staging area for many projects. It floods. Plus had to get my cars back into it as don't want them parked under a tree. One day need to get me a storm shelter.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/10/2017 4:37 PM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 09/10/2017 2:16 PM
platitude

Maybe you should look in the mirror. YOU have not been on this site as long as many of us others and sometimes from your attitudes, do not care about others as much as the rest of us who have become close Internet "friends" over the many years. You can shove your "platitude" up your PITA!

Now that is funny.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/10/2017 6:22 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 09/10/2017 4:37 PM
platitude

Now that is funny.

If the shoe fits he should wear it!!! Along with myself, YOU, Geno, Tim, and many others ... we have know each other on this site for MANY YEARS! It will soon be coming up on 8 (eight) years for me. We care about each other and for someone to so blatantly dismiss our feelings ... they can stuff it where the sun does not shine!!!
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/10/2017 7:09 PM  
Janet,

John, aka pita, has been on this site for a very long time.
From my findings, he has been on the site since 2008 (first as JohnB57 then as PitA).

John simply stated platitude, which means that (to him) your statement has been said before.

Now, I agree that telling people to be safe can't be said enough. However, John is also entitled to his opinions.

Personally, I wouldn't get that worked up over his responses. When he wants to truly contribute, he seems to be spot on (as evident by his past posts). When he wants to just make snide remarks he has a nack of pushing individuals buttons. If one simply doesn't respond to those comments, the comments (in my opinion) are given less weight - as if one is simply ignoring what is said.

Keep in mind that he thinks using the name PitA is funny.
I did find it a little funny when he changed it around 2013.
Over time, such humor loses it's appeal to me quickly.
Personally, I thought he would change it back.
He chose not to.
Therefore, take the name as a warning, ignore the comments that appear to be attacks vs. helpfulness. I've found that such an approach minimizes the stress in my life.

Personally, whenever I see such comments, I simply say to my self, what an (well PitA).

Tim
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/10/2017 7:10 PM  
Oh, based on reports, it could be weeks before we hear from some as it can take a while to restore power. I suspect that once power is restored, those affected will be dealing with other things vs. spending time on this site.

Regardless, they are in my prayers and thoughts.

JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/10/2017 8:03 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 09/10/2017 7:09 PM
Janet,

John, aka pita, has been on this site for a very long time.
From my findings, he has been on the site since 2008 (first as JohnB57 then as PitA).

John simply stated platitude, which means that (to him) your statement has been said before.

Now, I agree that telling people to be safe can't be said enough. However, John is also entitled to his opinions.

Personally, I wouldn't get that worked up over his responses. When he wants to truly contribute, he seems to be spot on (as evident by his past posts). When he wants to just make snide remarks he has a nack of pushing individuals buttons. If one simply doesn't respond to those comments, the comments (in my opinion) are given less weight - as if one is simply ignoring what is said.

Keep in mind that he thinks using the name PitA is funny.
I did find it a little funny when he changed it around 2013.
Over time, such humor loses it's appeal to me quickly.
Personally, I thought he would change it back.
He chose not to.
Therefore, take the name as a warning, ignore the comments that appear to be attacks vs. helpfulness. I've found that such an approach minimizes the stress in my life.

Personally, whenever I see such comments, I simply say to my self, what an (well PitA).

Tim

Sorry Tim ... If PitA had been on this site for as long as you state he should have known my comment should not have been considered "trite and meaningless" as defined by "platitude"!!! YEP he is entitled to his opinions the same as MYSELF! Yes using the name PitA is funny ... however, this situation is NOT funny. There are some situations where excused are fine ... but this is not one of them!

JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/10/2017 8:07 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 09/10/2017 7:10 PM
Oh, based on reports, it could be weeks before we hear from some as it can take a while to restore power. I suspect that once power is restored, those affected will be dealing with other things vs. spending time on this site.

Regardless, they are in my prayers and thoughts.

OH ... I do not care how long it takes to know whether or not my FRIENDS are safe and if they need any help.

PitA

09/11/2017 4:56 AM  
? What, PRECISELY, are you doing to actually assist ?

I have two families residing with me in my home AND (with HOA's permission) potentially two more camping out in the back yard.

UP YOURS
PitA

09/11/2017 8:15 AM  
Also, if you guys need anything and if we can help, please let us know.

What, PRECISELY, are you offering from the great state of Colorado ?

More platitudes ?

platitude:
synonyms
cliché · truism · commonplace · banality · old chestnut · bromide · inanity

ps. of COURSE we all want everyone to be safe - that would go w/o saying - hence: platitude

pps. the unfortunate ones who are not safe will be unable to answer for a long time
PitA

09/11/2017 8:19 AM  

OH ... I do not care how long it takes to know whether or not my FRIENDS are safe and if they need any help.

The ones who NEED help are not in a position to contact you.

You need to help the ones you do NOT hear from,

else

you are offering naught but platitudes.
PitA

09/11/2017 8:20 AM  
Moderator(s):

Please modify or delete my above posts as you see fit.

for the weather
PitA

09/11/2017 10:29 AM  
platitude

strikes me as:

Derived Forms

platitudinous, adjective

now THAT was, in fact, humorous
AllisonD
(Florida)

09/11/2017 10:51 AM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 09/10/2017 1:35 PM
Please we would like our friends such as Geno and all others to please let us know if you are safe after Hurricane Irma. Also, if you guys need anything and if we can help, please let us know. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone ... life is more important that property. Property can be replaced whereas a life cannot. Please be safe!!!

Thanks so much for asking! 😃 My family and I are ok here in South Florida. No power but property is fine and we are safe. I really appreciate your concern!
GwenG
(Florida)

09/11/2017 11:09 AM  
Weighing in from Central Florida/Orlando area. The sun is out and the sky is blue with puffy white clouds. It is a blowy mess but no one was hurt. I hear reports of widespread power outtages, poor internet reception, debris all over roads, tree damage, siding panels pulled off houses and some roofs on older structures blown off. My own 15 year old manufactured home had no visible damage but focused inspections have not yet taken place.

I have heard that Lower Keys have heavy damage from storm surge and many roads are damaged and impassable.

I have not yet heard from my friend in Bradenton near Tampa.

I am still giggling about our Polk County Police Chief Grady Judd who declared, prior to the hurricane, that "anyone with an active arrest warrant who shows up in a shelter will be arrested and treated to alternate sheltering in place" and that "anyone who is a registered sex offender will not be permitted into a public shelter." Bad Ass Sheriff Judd is now a meme and will always be associated with hurricanes by Polk County Floridians.
AugustinD

09/11/2017 12:05 PM  
Thank you for starting this thread, JanetB2.

I appreciate the updates, AllisonD and GwenG. I laughed aloud when I read Sheriff Grady Judd's position as far as his job responsibilities are concerned. Funny! I have relatives in Florida. So far, so good. My neighbor brought his Florida-residing elderly mother-in-law up a week ago, two thousand miles from Florida.
PitA

09/11/2017 12:06 PM  
..... "anyone who is a registered sex offender will not be permitted into a public shelter." .....

Good for Mr. Judd

SERIOUSLY

Sex offenders are generally banned from areas with children for good reason.

? perhaps janet could help them out ?
PitA

09/11/2017 12:06 PM  
?! ship 'em to Colorado as their final punishment !?
GwenG
(Florida)

09/11/2017 2:40 PM  
Here's another one:

Police Chief Rick Maglione warned people in the statement that “Going to prison over a pair of sneakers is a fairly bad life choice”

This sounds so very California-esque...
AugustinD

09/11/2017 6:20 PM  
Posted By PitA on 09/11/2017 12:06 PM
..... "anyone who is a registered sex offender will not be permitted into a public shelter." .....

Good for Mr. Judd

SERIOUSLY

What do you mean by this, PitA? How could Janet help sex offenders out? I think highly of Janet's posts. I would really like to know what you are trying to say here.
PitA

09/11/2017 6:36 PM  
..... Also, if you guys need anything and if we can help, please let us know. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone ... .....

"Everyone" would be inclusive of sex offenders .........

Platitudes, as opposed to carefully thought out statements, may come back to haunt one.

however

I apologize for any of my comments which are found to be offensive as opposed to being funny/sarcastic.
PitA

09/11/2017 6:38 PM  
Posted By GwenG on 09/11/2017 2:40 PM
Here's another one:

Police Chief Rick Maglione warned people in the statement that “Going to prison over a pair of sneakers is a fairly bad life choice”

This sounds so very California-esque...

Forager or Looter - what PRECISELY is the determining factor ?
ScottO1
(Florida)

09/11/2017 7:22 PM  
Irma was quite the experience, only category 1 by time it reached Tampa Bay Area, I would not want to experience that again. We had power throughout the storm. But the wind was awful. Trees down all lover, few traffic signals working.

I did not stay in my condo, it is 80 construction - concrete and wood frame, I'm on the 3rd Floor and my concern was the roof rated for 110 winds. All buildings stayed intact we lost our pylon sign and partial to no electric throughout the buildings, lots of tree limbs down. Next time I probably will evacuate it was stressful and only a cat 1.

Hoping Jose stays far away

Scott
Palm harbor FL
AugustinD

09/11/2017 7:57 PM  
Posted By PitA on 09/11/2017 6:36 PM
..... Also, if you guys need anything and if we can help, please let us know. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone ... .....

"Everyone" would be inclusive of sex offenders .........

Platitudes, as opposed to carefully thought out statements, may come back to haunt one.

Stupid statements like yours, PitA, also come back to haunt.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/11/2017 9:16 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 09/11/2017 6:20 PM
Posted By PitA on 09/11/2017 12:06 PM

Good for Mr. Judd

SERIOUSLY

What do you mean by this, PitA? How could Janet help sex offenders out? I think highly of Janet's posts. I would really like to know what you are trying to say here.

THANK YOU AugustinD ... I also think highly of our posts!!! Both you and I tend not to ATTACK individuals who are on here asking questions or making posts. We understand that at a point in our pasts we ourselves were newbies to the HOA world and simply seeking answers to what many might consider stupid questions. However, NO question should EVER be considered stupid ...
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/11/2017 9:20 PM  
Posted By AllisonD on 09/11/2017 10:51 AM
Posted By JanetB2 on 09/10/2017 1:35 PM

Thanks so much for asking! 😃 My family and I are ok here in South Florida. No power but property is fine and we are safe. I really appreciate your concern!

So glad you and your family are safe. If you need any immediate assistance, please let me know!!!
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/11/2017 9:22 PM  
Posted By GwenG on 09/11/2017 11:09 AM
Weighing in from Central Florida/Orlando area. The sun is out and the sky is blue with puffy white clouds. It is a blowy mess but no one was hurt. I hear reports of widespread power outtages, poor internet reception, debris all over roads, tree damage, siding panels pulled off houses and some roofs on older structures blown off. My own 15 year old manufactured home had no visible damage but focused inspections have not yet taken place.

I have heard that Lower Keys have heavy damage from storm surge and many roads are damaged and impassable.

I have not yet heard from my friend in Bradenton near Tampa.

I am still giggling about our Polk County Police Chief Grady Judd who declared, prior to the hurricane, that "anyone with an active arrest warrant who shows up in a shelter will be arrested and treated to alternate sheltering in place" and that "anyone who is a registered sex offender will not be permitted into a public shelter." Bad Ass Sheriff Judd is now a meme and will always be associated with hurricanes by Polk County Floridians.

Gwen ... Thank you for letting us know. If you need anything to get you by ... please let me know.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/11/2017 9:24 PM  
Posted By ScottO1 on 09/11/2017 7:22 PM
Irma was quite the experience, only category 1 by time it reached Tampa Bay Area, I would not want to experience that again. We had power throughout the storm. But the wind was awful. Trees down all lover, few traffic signals working.

I did not stay in my condo, it is 80 construction - concrete and wood frame, I'm on the 3rd Floor and my concern was the roof rated for 110 winds. All buildings stayed intact we lost our pylon sign and partial to no electric throughout the buildings, lots of tree limbs down. Next time I probably will evacuate it was stressful and only a cat 1.

Hoping Jose stays far away

Scott
Palm harbor FL

Thank you Scott ... If there anything you need at this time to get you by?
CarlJ2
(Texas)

09/12/2017 2:35 AM  
Like the rest of the country I watched and hoped folks in real danger zones would evacuate as was prudent. I have a good friend that bugged out to Chicago from Tampa. She's now trying to get a flight back to check on things. I still think she made a good decision in evacuating. Thank you to the members that have checked in and we're glad you're oK, and of course concerned for those that have not yet. It's a years long recovery from these events so it's all just beginning.
PitA

09/12/2017 8:38 AM  
Stupid statements like yours, PitA, also come back to haunt.

Sloppy and/or imprecise language in the Covenants also will haunt y'all.

Words have meaning.

Different words have DIFFERENT meanings. (D'OH)

One should not have to 'interpret' meaning from written language.

Everyone has a meaning.

Most has a meaning.

Try YOUR 'feel good', platitudinous INTERPRETATION in a court of law.

Let us know how it works out. (picture barbells)
PitA

09/12/2017 9:22 AM  

Thank you Scott ... If there anything you need at this time to get you by?

Gwen ... Thank you for letting us know. If you need anything to get you by ... please let me know.

So glad you and your family are safe. If you need any immediate assistance, please let me know!!!

Are you offering cash, blankets, water, sympathy, or merely platitudes?

My 'personal guess' would be 'feel good' platitudes.

however

It is a good thing that you apparently care enough to write.

Sorry, out of time - must begin cleaning the toilets after my 'refugees' left for home.

TimB4
(Virginia)

09/12/2017 2:15 PM  
I see that John's (aka PitA) post count is at zero.
This is an indication that he has resigned from the forum.

It is unknown if he rejoined under a different name.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/12/2017 2:16 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 09/12/2017 2:15 PM

It is unknown if he rejoined under a different name.

Correction, he appears to now be registered as PainintheA
PainintheA

09/12/2017 2:56 PM  
did not want to be confused with 'flatbread'

DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/12/2017 3:16 PM  
Posted By PainintheA on 09/12/2017 2:56 PM

Why did you change your name?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

09/12/2017 7:13 PM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 09/12/2017 3:16 PM
Posted By PainintheA on 09/12/2017 2:56 PM

Why did you change your name?

Because it's been a few months since the last time and that appears to be his typical timeframe.
PainintheA

09/12/2017 7:42 PM  
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/12/2017 8:37 PM  
Posted By PainintheA on 09/12/2017 7:42 PM

I am offering whatever they need and if in my power to grant and will give them my email address to discuss. What are you offering besides BS?
BancsS
(Iowa)

09/13/2017 5:05 AM  
Janet,

Thanks for bringing up the topic. I was concerned about the Floridians and Texans who post to the forum as well. It just lets them know we are thinking about them, if they are able to get to their computers and log in to HOATalk. About the only thing I can do here in the Midwest is send a donation to the Red Cross which I intend to do. As a retired person, I had plenty of time to watch the hurricane news coverage. It is devastating and my hearts go out to these people.

PitA is just a sarcastic person with some knowledge about HOA living. I personally get a chuckle out of some his posts. I think he brings some knowledge and humor to sometimes vitriolic topics.
PainintheA

09/13/2017 6:06 AM  
Janet,

I had two evacuee families for three days in my home.

Plus one family in the back-yard camping with access to inside facilities.

Juuuust finished housecleaning after them.

It was my pleasure to help and rejoin the living.

? Do you not read the posts ?
PainintheA

09/13/2017 6:07 AM  
Bancs,

PainintheA 'if you please'.

Someone had me confused with a type of 'flatbread'.

GwenG
(Florida)

09/13/2017 8:57 AM  
Question Asked-Question Answered. (Say, How do you put emoticons and emojis in these posts?)

This demonstrates the folly of rushing to judgement and the complexity of human behavior. PainintheA wants to present to this forum a certain quirky, no-nonsense character, but when push comes to shove, shows a true face that belies the gruff and brusque exterior. I am amused by and enjoy PainintheA's dark musings and knowledgeable critiques.

The resources we have in any given situation are limited; in Colorado, there is little one can do to offer hands-on help. Colorado put out the initial thought and effort to offer "anything" to the forum contributors from affected states. South Carolinians are in the evacuee path and have critical resources to offer if they choose to do so. PainintheA did not have to mess up his house with storm guests, but chose to do so and that is very admirable and generous. I have a Florida home and placed a rental ad in the Houston area and phoned my moral support to each of my Florida friends-that is as much as I can reasonably do from my current home in California. I bet there are many others on this forum that extended support to friends/family in the affected areas and who made $ donations.

My bias it to assume the best and be disappointed rather than expect the worst and congratulate myself for my insight.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/13/2017 10:04 AM  
Posted By GwenG on 09/13/2017 8:57 AM
Question Asked-Question Answered. (Say, How do you put emoticons and emojis in these posts?)

This demonstrates the folly of rushing to judgement and the complexity of human behavior. PainintheA wants to present to this forum a certain quirky, no-nonsense character, but when push comes to shove, shows a true face that belies the gruff and brusque exterior. I am amused by and enjoy PainintheA's dark musings and knowledgeable critiques.

The resources we have in any given situation are limited; in Colorado, there is little one can do to offer hands-on help. Colorado put out the initial thought and effort to offer "anything" to the forum contributors from affected states. South Carolinians are in the evacuee path and have critical resources to offer if they choose to do so. PainintheA did not have to mess up his house with storm guests, but chose to do so and that is very admirable and generous. I have a Florida home and placed a rental ad in the Houston area and phoned my moral support to each of my Florida friends-that is as much as I can reasonably do from my current home in California. I bet there are many others on this forum that extended support to friends/family in the affected areas and who made $ donations.

My bias it to assume the best and be disappointed rather than expect the worst and congratulate myself for my insight.

There are certainly different perspectives on this. I have not known PainintheA long enough to make a true judgement on him, but I've read enough posts from PitA that I think I know his personality pretty well. (sometimes personalities change with screennames....)

My takeaway- I'm moving to SC. I like the fact that in SC a person can be rude, obnoxious, overbearing when forcing their opinion on others, disrespectful to people in other states that have laws that are always wrong compared to SC and just a selfish egotistical person in general, AND YET one simple act of kindness erases all of that and you become a saint! In Az, it's just the opposite. One oh-chit will wipe out 20 attaboys.

I'm going to need a good real estate agent in the SC area, if anyone knows of one!

PitA- We have never met so I'm basing my judgments of you on your online persona, I freely admit that. But I'm comfortable saying that the reason you had to spend so much time cleaning up after your guests is because they left in a hurry!! They will probably will choose not to evacuate next time!
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/13/2017 10:10 AM  
Posted By GwenG on 09/13/2017 8:57 AM
(Say, How do you put emoticons and emojis in these posts?)

I don't know how to do it other than copy/paste from someone else post.

PainintheA

09/13/2017 10:20 AM  
PitA- We have never met so I'm basing my judgments of you on your online persona, I freely admit that. But I'm comfortable saying that the reason you had to spend so much time cleaning up after your guests is because they left in a hurry!! They will probably will choose not to evacuate next time!

good one

(simply type : P w/o the space)
GwenG
(Florida)

09/13/2017 11:01 AM  
yeah that was a good one Douglas. Will you be relocating near to the PainintheA?

>> :-?
GwenG
(Florida)

09/13/2017 11:14 AM  
Well THAT didnt't work, so I am going to try a paste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
PainintheA

09/13/2017 12:01 PM  
:-?

: - ?
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/13/2017 1:06 PM  
Posted By GwenG on 09/13/2017 11:01 AM
yeah that was a good one Douglas. Will you be relocating near to the PainintheA?

>> :-?

No. Nothing against him at all, but I'm not leaving Az. I worked in other states but have always kept this as my home. I'm sure if I did, he and I would get along just fine.

:-)
PainintheA

09/13/2017 3:05 PM  
The suppliers of raw unfiltered facts are usually classified as PITAs.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/13/2017 3:36 PM  
Posted By PainintheA on 09/13/2017 3:05 PM
The suppliers of raw unfiltered facts are usually classified as PITAs.

Out here they're called Liberals.
PainintheA

09/13/2017 3:56 PM  
TAP links:

Online: helpsalvationarmy.org
•Text STORM to 51555 to receive a donation link.
•Donate by phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)
•Mail checks to: The Salvation Army PO BOX 1959 Atlanta, GA 30301

TAP: to avoid platitude
GenoS
(Florida)

09/14/2017 11:19 AM  
Not sure what's going on in this thread, but we skated through pretty much unscathed. Most homes had electric back in less than 24 hrs but a dozen or so are still without power. We only experienced sustained winds of about 45 mph with gusts in the 60s. Had about 14 inches of rain. Some subdivisions were under a foot or 2 of water for a couple of days. Not us, thankfully, although we do have a retention pond problem that clearly needs to be addressed. This started to become evident back in April but there's no doubt about it now. Board meeting coming up in 3 weeks where, I'm sure, there will be all kinds of excuses made and justifications trotted out in support of, "There's not really a problem with the retention pond," where the real reason is the desire to not spend any money.

The place looks like crap because the board also decided not to hire a cleanup crew. The plan is to let the regular lawn mowing contractor chew up the debris during their next visit 2 weeks from now.

Our VP evacuated to a relative's house further west and went through the eye. She's OK. The worst part of Sunday wasn't the storm. It was the constant wail of the NOAA Emergency Weather radio that blasted out Tornado Warning after Tornado Warning for 6 hours straight. That was nerve-wracking. We went into the closet about a dozen different times to take cover. I saw earlier there was only 1 tornado that touched down in the county, with winds estimated at 85 mph which is not a strong tornado, but I guess it counts in the final tally.

All in all, though, everyone survived and we came through Irma with relatively little impact. Wish I could say the same for south and southwest Florida.
BancsS
(Iowa)

09/14/2017 6:15 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 09/14/2017 11:19 AM
Not sure what's going on in this thread, but we skated through pretty much unscathed. Most homes had electric back in less than 24 hrs but a dozen or so are still without power. We only experienced sustained winds of about 45 mph with gusts in the 60s. Had about 14 inches of rain. Some subdivisions were under a foot or 2 of water for a couple of days. Not us, thankfully, although we do have a retention pond problem that clearly needs to be addressed. This started to become evident back in April but there's no doubt about it now. Board meeting coming up in 3 weeks where, I'm sure, there will be all kinds of excuses made and justifications trotted out in support of, "There's not really a problem with the retention pond," where the real reason is the desire to not spend any money.

The place looks like crap because the board also decided not to hire a cleanup crew. The plan is to let the regular lawn mowing contractor chew up the debris during their next visit 2 weeks from now.

Our VP evacuated to a relative's house further west and went through the eye. She's OK. The worst part of Sunday wasn't the storm. It was the constant wail of the NOAA Emergency Weather radio that blasted out Tornado Warning after Tornado Warning for 6 hours straight. That was nerve-wracking. We went into the closet about a dozen different times to take cover. I saw earlier there was only 1 tornado that touched down in the county, with winds estimated at 85 mph which is not a strong tornado, but I guess it counts in the final tally.

All in all, though, everyone survived and we came through Irma with relatively little impact. Wish I could say the same for south and southwest Florida.

I can't even imagine. Glad to hear you came through unscathed. We had a tornado hit my neighborhood 3 years ago. Three homes were destroyed but ours was not touched. There were power lines down and I was unable to get through to my home after work for several hours. Not near the magnitude of these hurricanes though.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Hurricane Irma - Please let us know you are safe!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement