Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 21, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Need Help: Vent in the window
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JoyceH4
(New Jersey)

09/06/2017 4:09 PM  
Port imperial, new Jersey, regulated by HOA.

i live in a townhouse, I installed a vent in my window, and the management came to me said "It has come to Management’s attention that you have a vent in the window. This is not allowed in the Community. Unit Owners cannot make or allow to be made any structural modifications or alterations in or to their unit." However, I saw a couple units had vent on the exterior wall (they broke the wall to install the vent). I didn't even break the window. In this case, how should I appeal? I heard one of the unit owned by the president of the condo association. Isn't this unfair?? Please help with ideas. Thanks
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/06/2017 4:18 PM  
1) You should have requested permission prior to installation. That requirement is likely within your governing documents.

2) Request a meeting with the Board or Architectural Committee (whomever approves changes) and ask permission citing the vents through the wall as approvals for other units to make exterior changes.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/06/2017 4:56 PM  
Definitely get a meeting planned, as already suggested. The window vent is not "structural" at all. You did not change the structural integrity of the building nor the window. So, if they were quoting the CC&R's, and you are quoting them, they are wrong.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/06/2017 5:50 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 09/06/2017 4:18 PM
1) You should have requested permission prior to installation. That requirement is likely within your governing documents.

2) Request a meeting with the Board or Architectural Committee (whomever approves changes) and ask permission citing the vents through the wall as approvals for other units to make exterior changes.

Excellent advice as usual from Tim . Yes it potentially is unfair ... and which you can point out during the meeting you request. Please do not ignore and be the one to step up and request a meeting. This will make you appear to be the one on the good side. Keep records and notes of all meetings and conversations (dates, times, what was discussed, etc.) and even ask for a letter after your meeting confirming any decision as anything in writing is best. Keep in mind however, that sometimes an HOA can get caught up in having to allow some things for some units, due to ADA or other Federal Laws for those disabled. So note whether any of those units with vents have individuals with any needs. If not then they should not have special privileges ... especially any Board member.
DaveD3
(Michigan)

09/06/2017 7:02 PM  
Can you clarify what a "vent in the window" actually is?
MarkM31
(Washington)

09/06/2017 8:36 PM  
A window is not a structural part of the unit
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/06/2017 9:10 PM  
Posted By MarkM31 on 09/06/2017 8:36 PM
A window is not a structural part of the unit

Potentially depends on your CCR's and State Laws ... However, I can see where you might be going with this thought. But, we do not know what the OP's CCR's state on the issue for our personal opinion.

JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/06/2017 9:16 PM  
Posted By DaveD3 on 09/06/2017 7:02 PM
Can you clarify what a "vent in the window" actually is?

Dave ... Since no response in while to your question ... It is potentially something similar to this ... which fits into the window width and the top of the window closes down against: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bionaire-Thin-Window-Fan-with-Comfort-Control-Thermostat-BWF0522M/23422686
JoyceH4
(New Jersey)

09/06/2017 9:25 PM  
https://vent-works.com/products/window-dryer-vent
It's something like this, but I used Transparent acrylic so it looks like window from outside.
JoyceH4
(New Jersey)

09/06/2017 9:26 PM  
https://vent-works.com/products/window-dryer-vent
It's something like this, but I used Transparent acrylic so it looks like window from outside.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/06/2017 10:04 PM  
Did you install to run a dryer?
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

09/07/2017 3:44 AM  
Posted By DouglasM6 on 09/06/2017 4:56 PM
Definitely get a meeting planned, as already suggested. The window vent is not "structural" at all. You did not change the structural integrity of the building nor the window. So, if they were quoting the CC&R's, and you are quoting them, they are wrong.

It is an alteration.

Anything that changes the outside appearance would probably need written permission.

I tell my people as soon as they move in that just because someone else has it doesn't mean you can. A simple phone call would have prevented this. They would have been told if they could, couldn't, the procedure to follow if they could, etc.
DaveD3
(Michigan)

09/07/2017 4:53 AM  
I don't know that I would call it an alteration.

What specific rule is being broken?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

09/07/2017 5:39 AM  
Posted By DaveD3 on 09/07/2017 4:53 AM
I don't know that I would call it an alteration.

What specific rule is being broken?

We really don't know because all we've seen is one small snippet of their governing docs. There are very likely more restrictions than the one in the OP.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/07/2017 6:56 AM  
Posted By GeorgeR8 on 09/07/2017 3:44 AM

It is an alteration.

Anything that changes the outside appearance would probably need written permission.

I tell my people as soon as they move in that just because someone else has it doesn't mean you can. A simple phone call would have prevented this. They would have been told if they could, couldn't, the procedure to follow if they could, etc.

I agree with George. It is an external alteration which probably needed approval. Also just because others have something, it does not mean all can have it.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/07/2017 6:57 AM  
Our docs specifically state window AC units, fans, vents, etc are not allowed.
KerryL1
(California)

09/07/2017 7:51 AM  
Our CC&Rs, too, are like JohnC's & others--no changes to the windows are permitted--mainly for aesthetic reasons.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/07/2017 9:15 AM  
Posted By GeorgeR8 on 09/07/2017 3:44 AM

It is an alteration.

We are all making assumptions as to what the OP's docs actually say. I'm basing my assumptions on what the OP states the letter of violation said:

"It has come to Management’s attention that you have a vent in the window. This is not allowed in the Community. Unit Owners cannot make or allow to be made any structural modifications or alterations in or to their unit."

It will not hold up in court if their letter is based on their CC&R's. If there is a section in their docs that says "no alterations without approval...." then maybe. But this, so far, is clearly overreaching on the part of the HOA. If they don't want window vents, they better change their documents, fast!
DaveD3
(Michigan)

09/07/2017 11:46 AM  
Agreed Douglas. Far too much speculation.

If the document is exactly as stated in the OP's post, then no, it's not an alteration as that text specifically deals with 'STRUCTURAL modifications or alterations"

Sticking a vent in a window is certainly not a structural change, so more info is needed before jumping to conclusions.
JoyceH4
(New Jersey)

09/07/2017 1:20 PM  
no, It's range hood.
JoyceH4
(New Jersey)

09/07/2017 1:58 PM  
Upon request, they send me the following today,

"Unit owners cannot make or allow to be made any structural modifications or alterations in or to their unit without the prior written consent of the Association or its duly authorized representative appointed in accordance with its bylaws.
Unit owners must not install any individually owned plantings in common elements or limited common elements without the prior written approval of the board of trustees.
Unit owners must not erect or have erected any fence, partition, wall, divider or similar structure interior or exterior of the Unit including doors, windows or skylights or any Common elements without the prior written approval of the Board or its representatives. Unit owners must not install storm or screen doors unless they conform to the styles and colors approved by the board.
Unit owners must not permit anything to be hung, displayed or placed on the outside walls, doors, or windows of any building whether or not common elements, except in accordance with association rules and regulations."
JoyceH4
(New Jersey)

09/07/2017 1:58 PM  
Upon request, they send me the following today,

"Unit owners cannot make or allow to be made any structural modifications or alterations in or to their unit without the prior written consent of the Association or its duly authorized representative appointed in accordance with its bylaws.
Unit owners must not install any individually owned plantings in common elements or limited common elements without the prior written approval of the board of trustees.
Unit owners must not erect or have erected any fence, partition, wall, divider or similar structure interior or exterior of the Unit including doors, windows or skylights or any Common elements without the prior written approval of the Board or its representatives. Unit owners must not install storm or screen doors unless they conform to the styles and colors approved by the board.
Unit owners must not permit anything to be hung, displayed or placed on the outside walls, doors, or windows of any building whether or not common elements, except in accordance with association rules and regulations."
PitA

09/07/2017 3:11 PM  
As per the OP's link:

WARNING
Do not install in a window above pedestrian pathway.

Unit owners must not permit anything to be hung, displayed or placed on the outside walls, doors, or windows of any building whether or not common elements, except in accordance with association rules and regulations.

The vent is, in fact, a violation.
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

09/07/2017 3:22 PM  
Now that I've seen the verbiage, I have to agree. It's a violation.
DaveD3
(Michigan)

09/07/2017 6:49 PM  
depends on what is or is not in accordance with the rules and regulations
KerryL1
(California)

09/09/2017 4:33 PM  
I agree--it's a violation.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Need Help: Vent in the window

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement