Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 21, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Newsletter advertising rates
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SherriW
(Florida)

08/29/2017 4:09 PM  
I am putting together an advertising policy for our Association newsletter and would like to see other samples.

Most importantly at this stage, working on a fair and competitive ad rate.

Cost per square inch kind of rate. And then factoring in the distribution count of the newsletter at perhaps one per household, or should it be adults per household.

Putting this out there for someone who has been down this path before and perhaps has a good idea of how to do it.

JanetB2
(Colorado)

08/29/2017 4:16 PM  
How many homes in your HOA?
SherriW
(Florida)

08/29/2017 5:03 PM  
There are 580 single family homes in my Association.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/29/2017 6:07 PM  
Well you may want to factor in that you may need to file some taxes on this "income" from the advertising in your newsletters. It's income not coming from Dues. So it can be subject to taxation.

Former HOA President
JanetB2
(Colorado)

08/29/2017 6:16 PM  
Posted By SherriW on 08/29/2017 5:03 PM
There are 580 single family homes in my Association.

That potentially would make it worth the time and effort. Also, that large would possibly attract buyers for ads. If you had been a small HOA I would have said don't waste your time. I potentially would start out with $20 for business card sized ad. Maybe give your subcontractors free x size space if they discount their contracts. However, be sure to check with your accountant and how it may affect your HOA if you make a profit. Is the profit going to offset members HOA dues
SherriW
(Florida)

08/29/2017 6:23 PM  
One resident (a realtor) has already come to me saying he wants a full page ad, which is interesting - business card size may not cut it. Also, I would think the revenue generated would be less than the cost of publishing the newsletter (it will be an e-newsletter by the way) so I would not expect it to be taxable unless it generates more than cost. There is the cost of the membership system ($130 per month) and the time involved in managing the database and creating the newsletter, plus costs of managing any sales outreach and recordkeeping/accounting.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/29/2017 6:27 PM  
Who is paying for the newsletter? The HOA? IF so, then your using all your neighbor's money to produce this newsletter. (I.E HOA money). So yes it would be profit to sell advertising. If it's not being paid for by the HOA, then it's whoever is producing the newsletter profit. Again all taxable.

Former HOA President
SherriW
(Florida)

08/29/2017 6:32 PM  
Yes, that HOA pays for the newsletter.

I thought this resource was helpful: http://www.bjmco.com/community-association-and-hoa-tax-returns/

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

08/29/2017 6:35 PM  
Posted By SherriW on 08/29/2017 6:23 PM
One resident (a realtor) has already come to me saying he wants a full page ad, which is interesting - business card size may not cut it. Also, I would think the revenue generated would be less than the cost of publishing the newsletter (it will be an e-newsletter by the way) so I would not expect it to be taxable unless it generates more than cost. There is the cost of the membership system ($130 per month) and the time involved in managing the database and creating the newsletter, plus costs of managing any sales outreach and recordkeeping/accounting.

Explain the system. $130 a month sounds pricey.
SherriW
(Florida)

08/29/2017 6:42 PM  
It is a complete membership management system. It has a database with all the owners (members), and you can keep all the data you wish on each owners file. It has event sign-up and event fee paying capacity online through PayPal. You can even build your website on it as well as e-newsletters and e-blasts.It is the top membership management system, and many, many HOA's use it. Considering staff time, file space, etc $130 is a bargain. The typical contact system such as Constant Contact is over $50 per month, and this does much more.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

08/29/2017 7:42 PM  
Posted By SherriW on 08/29/2017 6:42 PM
It is a complete membership management system. It has a database with all the owners (members), and you can keep all the data you wish on each owners file. It has event sign-up and event fee paying capacity online through PayPal. You can even build your website on it as well as e-newsletters and e-blasts.It is the top membership management system, and many, many HOA's use it. Considering staff time, file space, etc $130 is a bargain. The typical contact system such as Constant Contact is over $50 per month, and this does much more.

LOL ... was going to say sounds a lot like Constant Contact then saw you last post. Don't get me wrong I think this is great for large HOA's as long as they meet any requirements under their various State Laws with regards to the Non-Profit Corporation. Same as you I like to think outside the box. The price I suggested was not due to HOA, but due to in past I was the Events and Marketing Manager for my local Chamber of Commerce. We are a small community and that was the price we charged for that sized ad. What it will boil down to is what can you sell for X dollars? Potentially I would initially start with $20 for business card sized ad, $35 for 1/4 sized ad, $50 for half page ad, and $75 for full page ad. You can always in the future choose to increase or decrease ... depending on supply and demand.
SherriW
(Florida)

08/29/2017 7:48 PM  
Thanks, I really appreciate all the responses.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Newsletter advertising rates

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement