Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, September 23, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: roaches caused by turf in common areas
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GingerR2
(Arizona)

08/29/2017 10:52 AM  
Hello,

Early this summer management installed turf in some of the common areas. We have never had roaches in the home until recently. We have lived there going on 3 years renting. We always sprayed inside the home with the common bug sprays because scorpions if what we had an issue with and I know spraying inside is our responsibility. Since the installation of this turf we have had an infestation of roaches that we had to seek professional help because what we were using to spray wasn't strong enough anymore. It was confirmend by the pest control company that indeed they are roached from the turf looking for water source. Management supposedly sprays outside, but if they really did we wouldn't have roaches in the first place. So my question is, should they be responsible for the treatment to our place since the issue was caused by them installing the turf?
LetA
(Nevada)

08/29/2017 11:31 AM  
In my opinion yes, I have see the same in regards to scorpions that hitch a ride on plants that nursery's stock, then those scorpions are delivered along with
the plants to the customers that ordered them. The same unfortunately happens with sod. All i can say is get on your HOA's case, call the CM or BOD's.
In my HOA the CM and BOD quickly removed some Palo Verde trees where the roots was causing a trip hazard on a walking path. The same should be for you since roaches are a health risk.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/29/2017 3:27 PM  
Not necessarily. Depends if it's in the documentation to do so. We did not provide pest control. If we did, then we would have to raise the dues to cover the extra expense. It's not free. The choice is to pay for it as an individual or make it an ALL neighbors pay the expense.

FYI: Our HOA has a termite issue. We have wood retaining walls behind a few of the homes. The pest control company told us if we removed those walls, the termites would go straight to the homes. Removing the wood wall removed their feeding grounds. Forcing them to go into another source the homes.

The same thing is most likely happening in your case. The termites were happy critters till the turf came in. Made them move. It's an unintended consequence of installing the turf by the HOA. It's not like they released the bugs and then refused to treat homes. It's the bugs happened and you need to do what you can to protect your home.

Former HOA President
JanetB2
(Colorado)

08/29/2017 4:09 PM  
Most likely per your docs you are responsible for spraying inside and HOA for exterior. I would let them know what your pest control guy said and see what they say. Most likely will be no, but might get their pest control to do better job outside.
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

08/30/2017 5:51 AM  
You are a renter. Let the owner contact the board, hire pest control, etc.
PitA

08/30/2017 12:57 PM  
We don't have roaches here in South Carolina .....

..... they are called palmetto bugs.
GingerR2
(Arizona)

08/30/2017 1:15 PM  
Thank you all for the feedback. I will definitely let them know what the pest control company said and see where it takes me.They have sprayed inside the home once before so I don't see the problem. As management though they are responsible to maintain the common areas which would include pest control, I would think . I am a renter and the owner is actually the board. It's a funny set up. A small community of 27 houses. some houses are rentals some are owners. We get threatened with the HOA this and that, but never received any docs. is that legal? does a community have to be registered as an HOA?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/30/2017 3:34 PM  
Your not a HOA member. The owner is. If you want a copy of the documents ask the owner. They should have written it into your lease to follow those rules anyways. However, you can go to the courthouse and get a copy of the CC&R's as they are public.

Former HOA President
JanetB2
(Colorado)

08/30/2017 9:08 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 08/30/2017 3:34 PM
Your not a HOA member. The owner is. If you want a copy of the documents ask the owner. They should have written it into your lease to follow those rules anyways. However, you can go to the courthouse and get a copy of the CC&R's as they are public.

Melissa is correct ... the HOA can only go after the Owner for HOA violations ... the Owner then goes after their tenants. As Melissa noted if you want a copy of the CCR's ask your landlord who is the Owner as this will not cost you money to obtain. If you obtain a copy from your local County Records office they will charge you a copy fee per page. If the Owner expects you to follow the CCR's they should have provided you with a copy OR incorporated many of the Regulations into your Rental Agreement.
GingerR2
(Arizona)

08/31/2017 8:41 AM  
The owner is the HOA and also the management company. If that makes sense
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/31/2017 3:21 PM  
The owner is a member OF the HOA. They are NOT the HOA. The Management company is what the owner uses to rent out their property. That may be the SAME company that has the contract with the HOA for management. The owner should still make sure the lease agreement includes following the HOA rules and provide them. However, most owners don't necessarily do that. The owner should provide more than the MC if you ask for the rules.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > roaches caused by turf in common areas

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement