Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, November 25, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Airbnb rental
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MelissaF4
(Arizona)

08/28/2017 6:37 PM  
Is simply marketing on Airbnb for less than 30 days a violation even if the homeowner can prove that the property has not been rented in over 5 months?
The CC&R restrict leasing for less than 30 days. Airbnb has it marketed for a minimal of 3+ days but the Airbnb calendar shows no reservations have been made in over 5 months. Is the marketing for min 3+ days enough to support a violation?
GenoS
(Florida)

08/28/2017 7:51 PM  
If the CCRs restrict leasing to minimum terms of 30 days then I think whatever marketing-related arrangements have been made are irrelevant. If it was empty for a year, the next lease would have to be 30 days, minimum.
DaveD3
(Michigan)

08/29/2017 4:17 AM  
Would a court agree that a 3-night stay constitutes a lease?
PitA

08/29/2017 5:56 AM  
Is the marketing for min 3+ days enough to support a violation?

Not unless 'attempted rental' is a specified violation.
MelissaF4
(Arizona)

08/29/2017 10:57 AM  
It was on Airbnb but has not been rented in 5 months, short or long term. It not is rented for a year but the HOA has sent a violation simply because it was on the market to possible rent for 3 days. Is intent enough for a violation?
LetA
(Nevada)

08/29/2017 11:24 AM  
Posted By DaveD3 on 08/29/2017 4:17 AM
Would a court agree that a 3-night stay constitutes a lease?

Since City, State and County legislators are rapidly enacting laws that prohibit short term rental, weather they are called party houses or specifically target
Airbnb, just about anything shorter than 30 day lease one would be considered an innkeeper.
GenoS
(Florida)

08/29/2017 12:49 PM  
Posted By MelissaF4 on 08/29/2017 10:57 AM
It was on Airbnb but has not been rented in 5 months, short or long term. It not is rented for a year but the HOA has sent a violation simply because it was on the market to possible rent for 3 days. Is intent enough for a violation?

I would say that's not enough for a violation. The actual renting of the place for less than the minimum 30 days would be the violation. Intent to rent it out for less would, though, would ensure people noticed that a short-term rental had taken place, and we'd deal with it after the fact.
MelissaF4
(Arizona)

08/29/2017 12:58 PM  
Where can I find something that states that? I would like to have something in writing to show the board.
MelissaF4
(Arizona)

08/29/2017 12:59 PM  
Where can I find something that states that? I would like to have something in writing to show the board.
PitA

08/29/2017 3:31 PM  
I would like to PROVE that I did NOT think of a purple Hippopotamus with green stripes yesterday.

You, on the other hand, must prove an unapproved rental.

or

Get an actual life ,as opposed to myself, and go to the pool.
MelissaF4
(Arizona)

08/29/2017 3:39 PM  
Thank you PitA- I may use that metaphor when I talk to the HOA!
JanetB2
(Colorado)

08/29/2017 7:50 PM  
Posted By MelissaF4 on 08/28/2017 6:37 PM
Is simply marketing on Airbnb for less than 30 days a violation even if the homeowner can prove that the property has not been rented in over 5 months?
The CC&R restrict leasing for less than 30 days. Airbnb has it marketed for a minimal of 3+ days but the Airbnb calendar shows no reservations have been made in over 5 months. Is the marketing for min 3+ days enough to support a violation?

Potentially NO!!! The Owner would need to actually violate the CCR's to be held liable. Do not issue a violation on a what if scenario ... it will bite you!
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/30/2017 2:10 AM  
Janet,

I get the impression that MelissaF is the owner who had it listed.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

08/30/2017 10:20 AM  
If your CCRs do not allow weeds in the lawn, is it a violation to stop using weed and feed or does the violation only occur when weeds show up?
PitA

08/30/2017 12:56 PM  
How DARE the weeds violate a recorded Restriction!?
KerryL1
(California)

08/30/2017 1:02 PM  
I agree with those who say the the actual rental of the premises would constitute a violation.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement