Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 21, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Average violations per neighborhood
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TerryA4
(Georgia)

08/28/2017 8:39 AM  
I'm wondering if anyone has any good benchmark data about what the average number of violations per neighborhood is? I know that there are many factors, and there's likely no hard and fast rule. Let me give you a scenario, and if you're experienced in HOA's or HOA management, give me your opinion on how many violations you would expect a neighborhood to have.

We are a single family community of 230 homes less than 3 years old. The builder is still building or selling the final 10 homes, otherwise all are occupied. Lots are a minimum of 1/3 acre, homes range from 3,200 - 4,800 square feet. Many have basements with additional finished square footage. Prices for all homes are above the median for the area, and ranged from $400,000 to $740,000. The community has a large swimming pool, lighted tennis courts, playground, clubhouse, and is adjacent to a county-owned passive park with walking trails next to a major river. The HOA is homeowner run, and we have hired a management company to assist in the running of the community.

Given this, what would you feel is a reasonable number of violations to be outstanding in any given month? Also, would you begin to worry if violations rise to a certain level, and what would that level be?

Thanks in advance,

Terry
TimM11

08/28/2017 11:06 AM  
Posted By TerryA4 on 08/28/2017 8:39 AM

Given this, what would you feel is a reasonable number of violations to be outstanding in any given month? Also, would you begin to worry if violations rise to a certain level, and what would that level be?

For the first question, I think there are too many factors at play to be able to give a definitive answer. Each HOA is unique. Obviously, fewer are better. In mine (much smaller than yours), we've had months with zero and months with several. A lot has to do with the level of enforcement.

For the second question, as a BOD member, I wouldn't be worried about a specific level of violations, so much as a dramatic increase in the number from month to month or year to year. I'd want to know what was behind it -- did a number of new residents move in who weren't made aware of the rules? Are things being reported more than in the past (and by whom)? Are there certain types of violations that keep happening, or is it across the board? Is the rule being broken because it's hard to follow or unreasonable? Things like that.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

08/29/2017 6:55 AM  
I would imagine it varies greatly depending how strict the association is. Ours has 65 homes and not overly strict, we send a few violation notices per year (less than one per month on average). One of my neighbors moved to another association that was a lot stricter. Within two weeks of moving in, he got violation notices for weeds in his lawn and fungus discoloring on his roof. That association could easily send dozens of notices a month.
DaveD3
(Michigan)

08/29/2017 9:23 AM  
How many violations would you like to find?
Do you have a monthly quota that you're trying to hit in order to show that the board is doing something?

It just depends on how hard you want to look, and how petty and draconian you want to be. Look hard enough and I can guarantee that just about everyone is in violation of something.
TerryA4
(Georgia)

08/29/2017 10:13 AM  
Thanks for the question. I have a different problem. I'm thinking we have a shocking number of violations (over 130 in a community of 220 occupied homes), but I have nothing to base my perspective on. Additionally, the violations have been increasing. I fear that the board is not applying the CCRs consistently, and that homeowners know that there are no teeth in them, so why do what they're supposed to? They get a violation, ignore it, get a fine, and the board wipes it away. Being able to have a baseline to compare to would be helpful. One Association Manager told me that when the number gets above 15% of homes, they see that as a red flag. I think over 130 violations should be a makeup call that something isn't right.
TimM11

08/29/2017 10:57 AM  
It does sound like a lot, but I would still want to dig deeper into the numbers. How many homeowners are causing these violations? What types of violations are you seeing the most often? Is the total number you gave for the past year, or another timeframe?

With that many violations, a lack of enforcement doesn't seem like the issue.
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/29/2017 1:51 PM  
Terry,

I think it depends on the type of violation.

We have 130 homes.
80% kept a garden house outside on a hose reel or curled up in the bushes.
That was technically a violation. rather then enforce, we changed the policy.

We have 130 homes.
3 have paint that needs attending to.
That is a violation.

We have 130 homes.
those with children tend to have violations for personal property being left out.
those without children typically don't have those violations.

Again, it depends on the type of violation.

DaveD3
(Michigan)

08/30/2017 4:30 AM  
Tim is correct. It depends on the type of violation.

Is that 129 of the 130 houses with grass that is 1/4" too high before it's mowed, or are we talking a neighbourhood that has decided to farm hay instead of mowing their lawns?
DaveD3
(Michigan)

08/30/2017 4:30 AM  
Tim is correct. It depends on the type of violation.

Is that 129 of the 130 houses with grass that is 1/4" too high before it's mowed, or are we talking a neighbourhood that has decided to farm hay instead of mowing their lawns?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Average violations per neighborhood

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement