Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, September 23, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: It finally happened - we ticked off owners
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/29/2017 2:53 PM  
Bancs,

It doesn't affect individual homeowners.
Mainly developments and HOAs.
CarlJ2
(Texas)

08/29/2017 3:41 PM  
It does not alter the fact that HOAs restrict people's ability to landscape on theirown property.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/29/2017 6:24 PM  
That's not a bad thing there Carl. Believe me, it's not. Had a homeowner who's renter decided to plant PLASTIC flowers! It looked like a gravesite memorial. (Which I thought it was at first). You can imagine the reaction the HOA had to that. Many of the owners pride themselves on their gardens. Plastic flowers were definitely NOT approved or appreciated.

My non-HOA home has neighbor who treats their yard like a 24 hour yard sale. Junk sits around the yard and attracts rodents/mosquitos. If we were in a HOA, we could clean up the mess or not allow it. Being we are in the city, we can only call them to address the issue. I've talked to several of that person's neighbors who don't think they could ever sell their house because no one wants to live near that.

Former HOA President
CarlJ2
(Texas)

08/30/2017 4:52 AM  
I disagree with a great deal of what you just said, but I don't want to hijack Tim's thread to get into it.
PitA

08/30/2017 8:18 AM  
• Aesthetically pleasing
• Minimizes or eliminates erosion
• Provides open areas for minor play and court picnics
• Discourages team sport play
• Does not contain pergolas or gazebos
• Allows for parking of vehicles around the island
• Minimizes tree branches overhanging vehicles parked around island
• Minimal maintenance (pruning) requirements

Should have added:

CODE COMPLIANT

add that to EVERY proposal - C/Y/A
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/30/2017 10:39 PM  
Posted By BancsS on 08/29/2017 2:08 PM

I know you replied to Dave but this really interests me. We can just plant and remove trees wherever and wherever we want. I'm not used to that amount of county control.

I did some reading.
It has to do with complying with the Federal Clean Air Act

The act was created in 1963.
It was last amended in 1990.

See: https://www.epa.gov/clean-air-act-overview/evolution-clean-air-act

States and Counties made the appropriate changes to their codes to comply.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/12/2017 6:28 PM  
For those who may be interested, I wanted to provide an update.

Tonight we had our board meeting. Fortunately, the group (12 to 15 people) showed up 1/2 hour into the meeting.
This allowed the Board to get through the normal business relatively quickly.

I left for work after 50 minutes of back and forth and the meeting was still going on.
We discovered that the individual who informed the County, did so the day the trees were cut down.
Therefore, to me, that action was more of a vindictive action vs. wanting to work with the board.

The main issue was the Boards lack of communication.
The Board apologized for that but it didn't seem to help much.

One individual did thank the Board for their work.
One other individual did say this is all water under the bridge and we have to move forward.

One person asked how this meeting would have helped. It was explained that had we stayed ignorant of the County code, the Board would have worked with those in the meeting to come up with the number, species and placement of trees on the island. Unfortunately, being aware of the code, we need to comply and that means everything has to be approved through the County which would cost $3,000 (for a small change) or $8,000 (for a major change) just to have the County consider the plan (with zero guarantee that it would be approved).

One person thought the Board didn't understand why they were here.
1) The lack of communication (which we had already admitted to)
2) The clear cutting (which had been explained - the trees had cankers, insect damage and disease).

Therefore, it appears that (at least) that one person still wasn't listening.

On a positive note, two individuals volunteered to serve next year (the one who thanked the Board and the one who said we need to move forward).
DaveD3
(Michigan)

09/12/2017 7:01 PM  
If only ONE person wasn't listening, you're a shoe-in for HOA of the year, Tim.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully things can move along well-enough very soon.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/12/2017 9:01 PM  
I wish.

It's more likely that only one gave the indication that they were not listening.
There were probably more who didn't imply one way or the other if they were listening.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/12/2017 9:09 PM  
I find that usually open honestly wins the day!
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/13/2017 12:21 AM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 09/12/2017 9:09 PM
I find that usually open honestly wins the day!

It's what we have done.

However, that only works if individuals are listening (vs. simply hearing).

AugustinD

09/13/2017 4:44 AM  
Posted By JanetB2 on 09/12/2017 9:09 PM
I find that usually open honesty wins the day!

Stanford Business School Professor Jeffrey Pfeffer has studied and written about perceptions of leadership. Popular leadership writers almost universally praise five attributes: Modesty, authenticity, truthfulness, trustworthiness and selflessness.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/13/2017 3:05 PM  
Found out that the meeting went on for another hour after I left.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > It finally happened - we ticked off owners

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement