Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, January 16, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Going to Superior Court in PA over $30
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
JohnB83

10/02/2017 11:42 AM  
Posted By RichardP13 on 06/08/2017 1:17 PM
Posted By PitA on 06/08/2017 1:15 PM
The key to this bru-ha-ha is this direct quote of the OP from their web-site:

​(Remember we didn't know about the easement or the covenant in our deed.)

They never actually read or understood their deed.

Or, maybe it wasn't there???

from the OP:
..... The easement was in a 1911 deed. It gets mentioned again in my 1966 deed .....
GwenG
(Florida)

10/02/2017 11:55 AM  
Congratulations and thank you for your dedication to bringing this issue to a lawful conclusion. It would have been too daunting for many to pursue for so long. Owners such as you help to balance the weight of justice which too often favors the deep pockets of corporations that intimidate those with limited resources. I hope you get every dime back you spent plus an award for abuse!
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/02/2017 3:23 PM  
I read the decision.

Excellent work by the court.

Excellent fight by you Amelia.

Poor legal representation for the Association, as once evidence came to light they should have informed the client and, in my opinion, worked out a compromise.

I especially liked the judges opinion that there can be no late fees.
However, that only covered up to 2010.

Will the Association try again with late fees from 2011-2017?
CarlJ2
(Texas)

10/02/2017 6:08 PM  
I was also pleased to see the "We Won!" video pop up on YouTube. It's nice to see a homeowner win one.
AmeliaP
(Pennsylvania)

10/11/2017 8:55 AM  
I don't know yet about the 2011-2017 issue. The Judge said they cannot charge "Lake Assessments" (roads were always a non issue since my development takes care of our own) so it should be a straight $10 per year.

I asked for a bill to settle all this up but I haven't gotten one yet.

AmeliaP
(Pennsylvania)

12/23/2017 10:05 AM  
Well, I got a bill. It doesn't reflect anything the court told them, but I did get a bill.

It is for a lake assessment (specifically denied by the courts) and a membership fee (also denied by the courts since I am not and never have been a member of any HOA).

I'm actually quite amazed by this.
AugustinD

12/23/2017 1:37 PM  
Posted By AmeliaP on 12/23/2017 10:05 AM
Well, I got a bill. It doesn't reflect anything the court told them, but I did get a bill.

It is for a lake assessment (specifically denied by the courts) and a membership fee (also denied by the courts since I am not and never have been a member of any HOA).

Me too. Go after these fools with all you have, including a charge of harassment.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/23/2017 4:02 PM  
Posted By AmeliaP on 12/23/2017 10:05 AM

And how much was the bill for?
TimB4
(Virginia)

12/24/2017 5:59 AM  
It's possible that there was a change in the Board and that they are unaware of the details of the court order.

Have your attorney send them a letter with a copy of the court order and ask why they are billing you for items specifically denied by the Courts. Specify that they have 30 days to provide you with a correct billing invoice to resolve this issue or you will go back to the court.
GenoS
(Florida)

12/24/2017 2:28 PM  
That could be seen as contempt of court almost. At the very least, you've got more ammunition now for asking the court to award you your legal and attorney fees (if you haven't got those yet).
GwenG
(Florida)

01/04/2018 8:44 AM  
I just read an interesting item in the NEWS section. The Walker Lake HOA account was audited and is now under investigation by the state. Can you (OP) fill this in with any more details?
AugustinD

01/04/2018 9:10 AM  
Posted By GwenG on 01/04/2018 8:44 AM
I just read an interesting item in the NEWS section. The Walker Lake HOA account was audited and is now under investigation by the state. Can you (OP) fill this in with any more details?

I can only laugh. Maybe my HOA will not win the hoatalk.com award for "Most Diabolical" in 2017?

Good catch, GwenG.
AmeliaP
(Pennsylvania)

01/04/2018 7:41 PM  
I never notices the news section. That is the same place and my case. http://www.riverreporter.com/news-news-stories/homeowners-association-ignores-court

The totals on the missing money are growing as the audit goes along.

I went to the last board meeting by the urging of many of their members (with strict guidelines from my attorney) and took notes. The money that is "missing" is upwards of $166,000 as of December 28th.

I put my notes from that meeting here.
http://www.shoholapa.com/walker-lakeshores-landowners-association.html

What a horror show.
CarlJ2
(Texas)

01/05/2018 6:43 AM  
Fascinating...it never ceases to amaze how far off the rails a HOA can go.
AllumW
(Florida)

01/05/2018 10:52 AM  
It's like Amelia is an HOATALK celebrity...featured in the new section and everything.
GwenG
(Florida)

01/07/2018 4:01 PM  
There is yet another article in the NEWS section of this forum announcing that the subject Walker Lakeshores Landowners Assn is missing around $123,000 in HOA monies, according to an auditor. The HOA does not have enough money to pay its bills nor is its insurance coverage sufficient to cure the shortage.

Fortunately, the OP has been deemed NOT a member of the HOA by the courts and will not be responsible for a share of the debt.
AmeliaP
(Pennsylvania)

01/07/2018 7:29 PM  
I'm no celebrity. I'm just stubborn.

We knew something was very very wrong but we never thought it was going to end up like this!

Almost no one would believe us. Now they do!

The credit for the audit goes to another group though. They got that ball rolling and I'm grateful that they did that because this wouldn't have ended.
AmeliaP
(Pennsylvania)

01/07/2018 7:36 PM  
FYI - The 'president' that just resigned because, in part, she hadn't payed assessments in many years is the one who was paying their attorney to try to appeal me to the Superior Court. Cute right?
DouglasM6
(Arizona)

01/08/2018 10:34 AM  
Just WOW!
GenoS
(Florida)

01/08/2018 3:20 PM  
Posted By AmeliaP on 01/07/2018 7:29 PM
Almost no one would believe us. Now they do!

I'd be mailing "I TOLD YOU SO!" postcards to all the owners in that association. I'd put a sign on the side of the road where they'd all see it, "YOU ALL WILL NOW GET WHAT YOU DESERVE".
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/08/2018 4:34 PM  
Geno, I honestly thought that last comment was from John (aka PITA) until I looked at the name.
AugustinD

01/15/2018 9:14 AM  
Posted By GenoS on 01/08/2018 3:20 PM
I'd put a sign on the side of the road where they'd all see it, "YOU ALL WILL NOW GET WHAT YOU DESERVE".

"Three Billboards Outside Shohola, Pennsylvania," ha ha. Amelia, your local dentist will be keeping the drill away from you.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Going to Superior Court in PA over $30

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement