Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, June 24, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Online Conferencing for HOA Meetings
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AllisonD
(Florida)

04/17/2017 5:19 PM  
I searched but could only find info about videotaping meetings, sorry if I did not search the correct terms. I am wanting to look into using one of the online meeting services. Does anyone have experience using one? I know we cant post the names online so if you use one would you kindly email [email protected] and let me know how its going? Thanks
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/17/2017 8:04 PM  
We utilized skype once for a board meeting when I was unable to attend.
It was fair, not great, but fair and accomplished what was required.

Are you looking at this for an annual meeting or simply a board meeting?
GenoS
(Florida)

04/18/2017 12:37 PM  
This is informative: "Can Meetings be Conducted using a Videoconference Service?" and the answer is yes, provided that the remote participant can hear what's going on at the meeting and be heard by those actually present at the meeting location.

We have used Apple's FaceTime for a few years for board meetings. One of our directors is a seasonal resident and he connects to another on-site director's Apple device so we can see and hear him and he can hear us. Theoretically he can see us also but constantly shifting the local device around to aim its camera isn't perfect. But as long as he can hear and be heard, that's fine. A remote director could even participate over a speakerphone setup.

I don't like getting locked into Apple's ecosystem - Facetime does not play well with others (like Skype) - but as long as we have people on both ends with Apple devices we're good. Another potential problem we're facing in a few months is there is a second director who wants to also participate in meetings remotely. That might be a problem with a 3-way videoconference and what we use now isn't going to work.

Sorry, but I haven't really looked into what services are available. I know it can be done because I've watched videos where multiple participants at different locations all take part in the procedings.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/18/2017 4:05 PM  
One thing I didn't like was the inability to see everyone.
This prevented me from knowing if the way I was presenting an issue wasn't being understood or if I was putting people off (as I couldn't read body language).

I was also unable to hear side conversations (which always happen).

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Online Conferencing for HOA Meetings

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement