Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, April 28, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Management Co printing costs
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MichaelH21
(California)

04/12/2017 11:41 AM  
I'm a new board member/treasurer in a small (75) HOA. I've noticed our printing costs have spiked with no discernible reason. Our yearly reproduction budget is $4500 @ $375 a month. Last month was over $600 and this month is over $1000. So we've blown through a quarter of our budget in two months time. When I questioned the Management, response was "it varies". I realize that, however there are no breakdown of charges....in other words just the page count for reproduction. Is it normal for PM not to include exactly what they are charging us for printing? And while I'm new at this, it seems even $375 a month for printing seems a little high for a community of this size?
RichardP13
(California)

04/12/2017 12:11 PM  
Michael

You definitely have cause for concern. One of my properties is 90 units and they average $87.00 per month. This includes monthly statement w/postage and any additional mailings. Three times a year it is $90.00 because of mandatory disclosures and elections.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

04/12/2017 1:24 PM  
"It varies" is not an answer - at the very least, the property manager should be able to say what was printed (newsletters, account statements, letters to individual homeowners, etc.) Is this stuff being printed in-house or through an outside printing company? If it's at an outside company, their costs may have increased and so the property manager passed that onto your association - what he/she should have done is inform the board of the price increase so alternatives could be explored.

Speaking of alternatives, does your association have a website? If not, consider getting one - you could post information there and people can download and print it themselves, if desired. If you print a newsletter, consider asking people for their emails so you can send them that way. Management reports for the board meeting can be fairly hefty - ours had balance sheets, income/expense statement, bank statement, check register, daily cash report, etc. All that stuff can be turned into a PDF and emailed to board members.

Those are just some ways you can look at reducing costs and if your property manager can't or won't help you find a way to do that, consider sending out a RFP for a printing company and take that work way from them. Or consider getting another property manager
KerryL1
(California)

04/12/2017 1:54 PM  
We reduced our MC's printing cost considerably when most of the board's financial reports were moved to a secure part of our websites. Instead of 7 directors' + the PM's binders being 100-150 pages apiece for our monthly meetings, they're now maybe 30 (depends if contracts or proposals are included).

Also, in CA, as you may know, Michael, many items can be sent online to Owners once the HOA has their written permission. Multiple-page examples are the annual budget & reserves summaries; the annual audit. Our monthly Newsletter also is sent to Owners via e-blast and only a few are actually printed for renters & those who don't want our e-blasts.

Annual Election materials, though, must be sent via US mail and can comprise a lot of pages so can cost quite a lot to copy & mail, so you;d expect a spike for the month they're sent out to Owners.
MichaelH21
(California)

04/12/2017 4:05 PM  
Yes, we just mailed out restated guidelines.....9 pages, and nothing else major has gone out. Thanks for the info, it will help when I speak to the other members.
MichaelH21
(California)

04/12/2017 4:09 PM  
The printing is done in house and they charge us .12 per page. I was surprised they didn't give me a more specific answer, seeing as I asked if the charge was a mistake.....almost 9000 pages! Thanks for bringing up the website, I will look into that.
MichaelH21
(California)

04/12/2017 4:11 PM  
Yes, I found an article about what Ca allows as far as paperless....thank you!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Management Co printing costs

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement