Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 20, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Late Fees - Percent vs Flat Fee
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/07/2017 11:38 PM  
I was curious what everyone charges for HOA Late Fees with regards to percent charged vs flat fee charged?

I have a friend who does accounting for HOA's and she mentioned that Flat Fee is better in Colorado with less headaches vs percentage. So was wondering how other HOA's approach this issue?
RichardP13
(California)

04/08/2017 4:11 AM  
Late Fees are written into the CCRs of each Association. It can be listed as a percentage or flat, whichever is greater. If silent, state statues can dictate.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/08/2017 4:19 AM  
We have a flat rate of $20 dollars late fees. Which is pretty steep considering dues were set at $50 a month.

Former HOA President
RichardP13
(California)

04/08/2017 4:33 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 04/08/2017 4:19 AM
We have a flat rate of $20 dollars late fees. Which is pretty steep considering dues were set at $50 a month.

That would violate our state statue.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/08/2017 2:24 PM  
Well that is less that what it cost for writing a bad check. If I am going to charge "late fees/penalties", I look at the banking/credit card industries. They are usually "in the know" for what the laws are when it comes to such things.

Former HOA President
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

04/08/2017 7:18 PM  
Flat rate. Just raised ours last year. Still about the lowest in the area. $12.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/08/2017 10:49 PM  
Thank you!!! My friend stated flat fee was best in our State to avoid other law issues (she is on vacation and I have more questions for when she gets back ... we were running out of time when question came up previously). She also recommended a higher amount for first month violation and then less for future months. She has had some HOA's which are $50 for first month violation and then something like $20 for each month after that the owner is late. This was so it essentially shocks them into paying quickly when receive their late bill. However, stated many times will remove late fee if paid before next bill is sent ... but tends to get quick action.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/09/2017 7:07 AM  
Some states limit these type charges to % per year but most also say plus expenses. Thus if I have to make a trip to mail any notice that will be an additional $50. My time is valuable.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/11/2017 9:19 PM  
LOL ... Had not thought about it that way ... my time is valuable too . I will have to look more at my State Law regarding allowed charges.

My new HOA has the Annual Meeting coming up with one BOD and one ACC position open. I am just not sure if the last 6 months is a long enough break after all the garbage I dealt with in last HOA. After spending six years very closely watching over corrupt developer and the many battles including a court battle (against old and new developer), right now I am tired of HOA garbage. Potentially because I am tired ... I also have a lower garbage tolerance level.

The new HOA has a minor issue which I submitted my opinion to the BOD with State Laws as backup, potentially it will depend on how they proceed to help determine my decision. LOL ... my dining table is covered with Plats and HOA documents.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Late Fees - Percent vs Flat Fee

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement