Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, August 20, 2017

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Conveying Common Area
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ConchoP
(Texas)

03/29/2017 3:42 PM  
We have one common area...I assume it's our an stone entrance with lights.... when we elected our first board isn't the developer suppose to convey the common area to the HOA?
If so how is this done?
NigelB
(Texas)

03/29/2017 6:49 PM  
Posted By ConchoP on 03/29/2017 3:42 PM
We have one common area...I assume it's our an stone entrance with lights.... when we elected our first board isn't the developer suppose to convey the common area to the HOA?
If so how is this done?

This is one of those maybe maybe not answers.

Our developer conveyed three tracts to the HOA, one is a park and two are land on each side of a back entrance to the subdivision.

Our front entrance monuments are ours, they are maintained by the HOA, and we provide landscaping and lighting - BUT the land
they are located on is not ours, it is actually a landscape easement.

You should take a look at your county records to see exactly what the description is of the tract of land where the entrance is
located - it might just be on an easement
JanetB2
(Colorado)

03/29/2017 10:51 PM  
Look at your docs and State Laws. In my stare developer is supposed to transfer property to HOA before selling any lots or units. Some don't follow this, but when they want to charge $$$ for fees based on the property. LOL ... If not HOA owned how can they charge? When told will not pay fees for property not owned by HOA they generally will transfer in timely manner.
ConchoP
(Texas)

03/30/2017 10:37 AM  
Thank you both

NigelB - you may be right when I look one of the plats it does show a small area call landscape area..and I didn't think it also being part of easement.

So I would assume there would be no transfer "lot/land" ownership, so do we have agreement with the developer for upkeep and paying the electricity on the lighting?
NigelB
(Texas)

03/30/2017 10:49 AM  
Posted By ConchoP on 03/30/2017 10:37 AM
Thank you both

NigelB - you may be right when I look one of the plats it does show a small area call landscape area..and I didn't think it also being part of easement.

So I would assume there would be no transfer "lot/land" ownership, so do we have agreement with the developer for upkeep and paying the electricity on the lighting?

Our monuments located in the landscape easement belong to, and are the responsibility of the HOA for upkeep as is the lighting and irrigation. The monuments and irrigation were installed by the developer who also created the HOA. We later installed lighting.

While the developer did transfer deeds to those tracts of land that are common property to the HOA, I've never seen an inventory of the actual structures owned by the HOA and put in place by the developer. When I took over as HOA Pres, I inventoried those items that we are responsible for maintaining, such as subdivision perimeter walls, irrigation system, playground equipment, etc, but we actually have no records from the developer to show that either the developer or HOA actually paid for those things prior to the HOA being turned over to the community.
JeanI
(Louisiana)

04/12/2017 1:52 PM  
Our developer conveyed some of our private streets to the Association but not others.He is in no hurry because he says our Act of Restrictions clearly states that the Association is responsible for "maintaining" the streets whether we own them or not. We have spent thousands of dollars redoing the streets without developer money and we continue to do so. Should we?
JanetB2
(Colorado)

04/13/2017 9:18 PM  
Another option is to check with your local City / County Planning Department. They should be able to tell you who owns the property in question and who is supposed to pay to maintain. In most states a Developer usually submits his development plans to the local government agency for approval prior to installing any development. They should be able to help answer some of your questions. Keep in mind you may need to ask some blatant straight forward questions with pretty much yes or no answers. Otherwise they may try to make you beat a bush to death to get a straight answer. I have gone to my County offices and received very straight forward answers, and have gone to local City and had to sometimes beat the bush with a baseball bat (LOL ... not literally) to get a straight answer. The City to some extent while would NOT outright lie would try hard to evade the issue.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Conveying Common Area

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement