Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Termite treatment
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
KarlD1
(Delaware)

11/16/2016 11:54 AM  
Our HOA board discovered 3 of the 147 units have subterranean termites (21 buildings) . These are 7 year old units in 3 buildings in the back of the community. We had a termite inspection and only these units have termites. All units were inspected and my unit did not have termites and is only 3 years old. The builder did a pre-treatment when built. This is a townhome community. They have contracted a pest control company to treat all units. They are drilling holes in the rear concrete patios (Limited Common Area) and around the entire perimeter of the garage inside our townhome. If any flooring was installed in the garage the property management company said we have to remove it.
Our CC&Rs explains HOA maintenance responsibility and pest control or termite control is not included. The cost of treatment is around 25K and approved at a council meeting. While I am thankful the HOA is proactive in treating and paying for the termite treatment, I would like some clarification on there rights inside my home
If my garage is improved and permitted as living space does HOA have right to make me remove improvements without reimbursement. My unit was inspected and does not have termites.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/16/2016 12:10 PM  
Here is the deal... Your HOA was not responsible for the termite issue. However, the majority of the membership decided otherwise to force the HOA to pay for it. Which means your going to have to comply to their resolution.

My house did not have not termites when I bought and it was inspected. However, 6 months later I had adopted a dog. That dog ripped a hole into my back wall. Turns out the breed of dog I adopted can sniff out termites. He ended up finding a termite infestation the inspectors did not find. So even though they inspected and did not find any, the potential is there for them being there. Best to be proactive.

Former HOA President
KarlD1
(Delaware)

11/16/2016 12:43 PM  
The association members were not asked to vote on the issue. The board motioned and voted on it at a "Council" meeting. I forgot to mention that 2 of the townhomes were owned by current or former board members. My question pertains to the HOA rights to come inside my property and have me remove improvements which will reduce my property value. My townhome is on a concrete slab, was pretreated by the builder and was inspected and contains NO signs of any termite infestation. There are 7 brand new buildings and the units that were infested are 7-8 years old. Our CC&R states homeowners are responsible for and pest control inside the walls.

I don't have an issue with them treating the common area or even the limited common area but they are requesting to come into the deeded area of my home and have me remove improvements without any reimbursement.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/16/2016 1:38 PM  
How is it going to effect your home value? Home value is based on what other homes within a few mile radius sells for with the similar square footage/rooms. The number of foreclosures or short sales have more effect on your home value than what floor coverings you have.

Your real issue is you just don't want to tear up an upgrade you installed. It's part of the risk you undertook in order to improve or impress. Not the HOA's fault. Your home isn't going to appraise more because you put in marble flooring. It's an "extra" that may attract more potential buyers. It is NOT a value added item.

Former HOA President
FredS7
(Arizona)

11/17/2016 6:36 AM  
A couple thoughts

If the HOA maintains the exterior then preventing termite damage would seem to be part of that maintenance task.

There probably language somewhere in your documents that says you must provide access for necessary maintenance tasks.

Your area and construction appears to be prone to termite infestation. If this occurred in your unit in the future, you would need to provide access for treatment at that time. It might not be a bad idea to swallow hard and deal with this now.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/17/2016 7:33 AM  
Posted By FredS7 on 11/17/2016 6:36 AM
A couple thoughts

If the HOA maintains the exterior then preventing termite damage would seem to be part of that maintenance task.

There probably language somewhere in your documents that says you must provide access for necessary maintenance tasks.

Your area and construction appears to be prone to termite infestation. If this occurred in your unit in the future, you would need to provide access for treatment at that time. It might not be a bad idea to swallow hard and deal with this now.

The above bold is common in most Covenants.
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/17/2016 8:16 PM  
Karl,

As a compromise, why not offer to pay the difference between treating inside the garage vs. treating around the garage?

This can be a win, win.

Failure to apply termite treatment when the rest of the row of town homes are having it applied may result in the termites being driven toward your property.
EdwardW3
(Wyoming)

03/07/2017 11:31 AM  
Posted By KarlD1 on 11/16/2016 11:54 AM
Our HOA board discovered 3 of the 147 units have subterranean termites (21 buildings) . These are 7 year old units in 3 buildings in the back of the community. We had a termite inspection and only these units have termites. All units were inspected and my unit did not have termites and is only 3 years old. The builder did a pre-treatment when built. This is a townhome community. They have contracted a pest control company to treat all units. They are drilling holes in the rear concrete patios (Limited Common Area) and around the entire perimeter of the garage inside our townhome. If any flooring was installed in the garage the property management company said we have to remove it.
Our CC&Rs explains HOA maintenance responsibility and pest control or [url=http://www.hometermitecontrolsydney.com.au/termite-treatment-prices/]best Termite treatment cost[/url] is not included. The cost of treatment is around 25K and approved at a council meeting. While I am thankful the HOA is proactive in treating and paying for the termite treatment, I would like some clarification on there rights inside my home
If my garage is improved and permitted as living space does HOA have right to make me remove improvements without reimbursement. My unit was inspected and does not have termites.

Hello,

I want to do the same thing with my brother's house. He is live in a old house with his wife and two daughters. So could you please share the contact details of that service provider to us....
SheliaH
(Indiana)

03/07/2017 12:36 PM  
I don't think the posting rules allow listing specific vendors (and you appear to be in different states - Delaware vs. Wyoming) Here's a link to an article on what to look for in a pest control contractor and there was some information on termite treatment. From there, you can check with your local consumer protection division and BBB on whether the potential contractor has had any complaints against it and how they were handled.

http://www.bestpickreports.com/blog/post/how-to-choose-a-pest-control-company-the-dos-and-donts
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/22/2019 6:27 AM  
Your in violation of the Rules on this forum. Plus this is an old post.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

01/22/2019 6:51 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 01/22/2019 6:27 AM
Your in violation of the Rules on this forum. Plus this is an old post.

Plus it's an Australian company, bet they don't travel... :-)
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement