Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  HOA minutes?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JudyP11
(Florida)

07/05/2016 1:00 PM  
Our Board approves minutes in a private meeting. Not only that, they waive the reading of the minutes at our regular meetings and the membership does not see them until
30 to 40 days later. I thought Florida law 720 said a meeting of the Board must be open to the membership in all but a few matters.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/05/2016 3:12 PM  
It isn't unusual to see the meeting notes 30 days later if your HOA meets monthly. The process is normally the meeting notes are taken at the current meeting, they are then approved by the Board at the next meeting or within time period before next, and then revealed at the next meeting 30 days later. They are rarely just appear the week after the current meeting. It's just the way government and group decisions work.

Former HOA President
RichardP13
(California)

07/05/2016 3:18 PM  
Posted By JudyP11 on 07/05/2016 1:00 PM
Our Board approves minutes in a private meeting. Not only that, they waive the reading of the minutes at our regular meetings and the membership does not see them until
30 to 40 days later. I thought Florida law 720 said a meeting of the Board must be open to the membership in all but a few matters.

How often is your Board required to meet?

The minutes should be approved at an open meet. It is not uncommon for the Board to receive a draft copy and approve it at the meeting WITHOUT reading out loud. Remember this is a Board meeting , not a Member meeting. The Annual meeting minutes would be approved by its members.

Been there, Done that
KerryL1
(California)

07/05/2016 3:48 PM  
Yes, Judy, as Richard wrote, the minutes should be approved at an open meeting. And also board meeting minutes needn't be read aloud. shouldn't be read.

Unlike Melissa's generalization, in CA, the draft minutes are required to be available to any Owner who asks 30 days after the relevant meeting. The approved minutes should be available shortly after approval, which'd occur at the next meeting. I don't know what the law is in FL.
AllisonD
(Florida)

07/09/2016 8:14 AM  

Judy are you saying that the board actually gets together at a private meeting specifically just to approve minutes?
CfD
(Virginia)

07/20/2016 12:30 PM  
Our board carefully edits the board meeting minutes to craft ridiculous language that doesn't come close to representing what actually transpired in the meeting itself. They do all of this through email so the membership cannot hear what they are editing, and then they simply rubber stamp the edits at the next board meeting.
DanaT

07/20/2016 1:18 PM  

Maybe you can try this. Your State allows recording of your meetings. Make your own minuets.

720.306 Meetings of members; voting and election procedures; amendments.— section(10) RECORDING.—Any parcel owner may tape record or videotape meetings of the board of directors and meetings of the members. The board of directors of the association may adopt reasonable rules governing the taping of meetings of the board and the membership.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0720/0720.html
ArtT5
(Illinois)

07/24/2016 7:44 AM  
This is a bit off the main topic but I want to comment on Richard's statement that minutes of annual meetings of the members are approved by the members. Many people believe this, and we sometimes see the statement repeated by experts. Yet Robert's Rules of Order says that if meetings are held less frequently than quarterly, some other body (in this case, the Board is the logical choice) should be charged with preparing and recording minutes of the meeting. Of course we aren't bound by RROR unless we've formally adopted them, but this is a case where they authorize a reasonable procedure that should be considered part of an HOA's best practices. It doesn't make sense to wait a full year before creating a legal record of what transpired at the annual meeting of the members unless this is required by local law or the association's governing documents.
ArtT5
(Illinois)

07/24/2016 7:58 AM  
If you're considering recording meetings, you may find, as I have, that this is easily done on a smartphone. No need to download an app, just use the voice memo feature. Best to put it in airplane mode first as an incoming call, even if ignored, may cut off the recording. I find that it works fine even with the phone in my shirt pocket. (I mention this as a matter of convenience, and not to encourage surreptitious recording.) On my phone at least, recording doesn't use a lot of battery and the memory usage isn't a big deal either. I'm using an iPhone; your mileage may vary. I use the recordings to create reports to members of the community, so they can get a more prompt (usually) and more complete report of what happened at the meeting than if they relied only on the minutes.
DanaT

07/24/2016 11:00 AM  
Posted By ArtT5 on 07/24/2016 7:58 AM
I use the recordings to create reports to members of the community, so they can get a more prompt (usually) and more complete report of what happened at the meeting than if they relied only on the minutes.

I do the same thing Art, then post the meetings on our community website, so others can listen, at their own leisure. It is legal to record open HOA Meetings in Va. You just have to let them know it is being recorded and allow them to place the recorder, in an area that does not effect the meeting.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

07/24/2016 12:11 PM  
Understand something about Minutes. Basically all they have to be are Motions made and the result of such. They are not a blow for blow account. I have seen a long, argumentative BOD Meeting Minutes come down to:

Discussions held on various subjects.

No Motions made.

End of Minutes.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement