Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Do rental restrictions have to be only in our
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DonellJ

05/22/2016 4:44 AM  
DECLARATION OF COVENANTS AND RESTRICTIONS AND PARTY FACILITIES
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

05/22/2016 6:25 AM  
OUCH

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
PitA

05/22/2016 7:56 AM  
Rental restrictions applying to owned units MUST be in the Covenants and Restrictions.
DonellJ

05/22/2016 12:27 PM  
Thanks
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/22/2016 12:36 PM  
Donel,

I expect that this is a continuation of your previous thread.

To be honest, the Board or membership may adopt rental restrictions and place them within any governing document. However, per the various links provided later, a rental restriction is best defended by the Association if that restriction is within the CC&Rs. From my reading, it is likely that if the restriction is within any other document, it will likely be considered invalid by a court.

However, for a court to make any determination, someone will need to challenge the restriction by petitioning the court for a ruling. To do that, you need to consult a local attorney. I would suggest one versed in contract law or one who has won similar cases.

Here are the links:

No-Lease Restrictions on Condominium Owners a 2014 article on a legal blog

THE RIGHT TO RENT – THERE’S MORE TO KNOW THAN YOU THINK 2014 article

Rental Restrictions 2013 article

Can’t We All Play by the Same Rules?

Yes You Can Restrict Condominium Rentals but Beware Unintended Consequences

FL 718.110 (applicable to condominiums only):

(13) An amendment prohibiting unit owners from renting their units or altering the duration of the rental term or specifying or limiting the number of times unit owners are entitled to rent their units during a specified period applies only to unit owners who consent to the amendment and unit owners who acquire title to their units after the effective date of that amendment.

BonnieG1
(Nebraska)

05/22/2016 7:22 PM  
Hmm interesting. I am replying to this so that I can save it for future reference. I was under the impression we could not limit rentals. Which at this time we can not but according to post on this site if we amend our documents (Master Deed and or BY-Laws) we should be able to restrict rentals.

We just amended many sections of our By-Law at our annual meeting in February and our members may be slightly burned out on amendment voting.
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/23/2016 10:52 AM  
Bonnie,

It must be in the Master Deed.
BonnieG1
(Nebraska)

05/23/2016 3:03 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 05/23/2016 10:52 AM
Bonnie,

It must be in the Master Deed.

Thanks Tim. Sometime in the future we may try to amend the Master Deed to limit rentals. I have had more than one person tell me that we never used to be able to lease out our units. I don't know how many times I have said we have been allowed to do this from day one according to our Master Deed. A few years ago the Board (before I even moved here) must have told people units had to be owner occupied. I was even under that impression when I first moved into my unit.

I don't think it will be hard to get votes needed to amend our Master Deed to limit rentals. But as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think our members are burned out with all the voting done this year and the years before. This year we voted on re-electing me to the board and we voted on amendments to our By-Laws. In 2015 we voted to re-elect a member to the Board and also voted on some extra security measures such as cameras. The security measures were voted down. In 2014 In addition to re-electing people to the Board, we voted on some minor issues such as the temperature in the common areas. I was not President in 2014. I know I prefer to have very few items to vote on at the annual meeting in 2017. I hope we can just vote on re-electing or electing people to the Board. But as my late husband used to say "Time will tell.".
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/23/2016 6:21 PM  
If you are in an age restricted community, you need to be careful with rentals.
Otherwise, worst case, you could lose your restriction status.

BonnieG1
(Nebraska)

05/23/2016 7:09 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 05/23/2016 6:21 PM

How could we lose our age restriction status as long as all renters have to be 55+ and must follow all our rules and regulations current and future. This is spelled out in our Master Deed. We have also made a resolution requiring any lease agreement to have 3 specific clauses. One clause is taken word for word from our Master Deed.
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/23/2016 7:20 PM  
Posted By BonnieG1 on 05/23/2016 7:09 PM

How could we lose our age restriction status as long as all renters have to be 55+ and must follow all our rules and regulations current and future. This is spelled out in our Master Deed. We have also made a resolution requiring any lease agreement to have 3 specific clauses. One clause is taken word for word from our Master Deed.

You wouldn't.

However, I didn't know that as it was not provided until now.

Based on this, I would say that you do have some rental restrictions already.
BonnieG1
(Nebraska)

05/26/2016 3:30 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 05/23/2016 7:20 PM
Posted By BonnieG1 on 05/23/2016 7:09 PM

You wouldn't.

However, I didn't know that as it was not provided until now.

Based on this, I would say that you do have some rental restrictions already.

I guess we do have rental restriction. When I think of rental restrictions I think of restricting the number of units that can be leased.
JamesG11
(Florida)

05/29/2016 9:20 AM  
Damn good response, TimB4.

In FL, the law is fairly well-settled that amendments which restrict a condo owner from renting his/her unit can only be enforced against that unit owner if he/she either consented to the amendment (i.e., voted in its favor) OR the amendment's effective date preceded the purchase by that owner of his/her unit (i.e., the prospective owner was on either actual or constructive notice of those restrictions prior to closing).

It is also fairly well-settled that amendments restricting a unit owner's right to lease his/her unit must have been lawfully enacted as part of the Declaration of Condominium to be enforceable. I've known a few condo associations who tried an end run around the more restrictive Declaration amendment process and adopted leasing restriction amendments as part of their bylaws and/or rules, but that has always ended badly for them (and/or their insurance carrier)....
JamesG11
(Florida)

05/29/2016 9:30 AM  
You should obtain a legal opinion on that, BonnieG1.

In some states -- like my Florida -- such leasing restrictions are unenforceable against those who owned a unit before the amendment was enacted (unless that owner voted in favor of the amendment).

Florida also does not permit you to do an end run around the Declaration of Condominium amendment process in order to incorporate such restrictions.

I cannot speak to what the law in your state may be. A Board is always well-advised to consult with its attorney before undertaking an amendment -- and especially one as controversial as we're discussing in this thread.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Do rental restrictions have to be only in our

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement