Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: High School Students Community Service Hours..
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ManuelR1
(Georgia)

04/25/2016 8:39 AM  
Hi everyone, I wanted to know if any HOA's are providing this kind of opportunity for the high school students, basically we would like for the to help out in the community. hope to hear back.
DeanaD1
(Tennessee)

04/25/2016 8:43 AM  
We haven't yet but are planning on it. We are new to the Board and going to check with both the County High school and Private school to see IF their National Honor Society students would like to do this.
MarkM31

04/25/2016 9:13 AM  
Like mow the lawns?
ManuelR1
(Georgia)

04/25/2016 9:17 AM  
more like painting the community playground, pressure wash the club house exterior, repaint the pool fence activities more to the common public areas.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

04/25/2016 9:22 AM  
I know in my state students must perform a complete a certain number of community service hours to be eligible for certain state scholarships. I don't know specifically what counts towards that but I assume there are some kind of rules or guidelines. I know that doing work at the local county park counts, but not sure about doing work just to save money for an HOA.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
MarkM31

04/25/2016 9:27 AM  
Posted By ManuelR1 on 04/25/2016 9:17 AM
pressure wash the club house exterior, repaint the pool fence

I don't think that is in the spirit of community service, more in the spirit of cheap labor. Is the pool and clubhouse available for free use by anybody with no regard to where they live like city parks are, or are they only for residents and their guests?
ManuelR1
(Georgia)

04/25/2016 9:31 AM  
Residents only and their guest, not trying to hire cheap labor, it will be the same as asking for homeowners volunteers to do such work, but if we can have the teens involved and they earn hours then is a win win situation.
DeanaD1
(Tennessee)

04/25/2016 9:34 AM  
More like adopt a highway or road. Rural HOA. Lots of groups do it. IF one has over 100 NHS students, trying to get 8 hours each per month service hours, in a small community, you only need so much help at the volunteer public library or the annual Special Olympics, and only so many can help volunteer to the Chemistry teacher or Calculus teacher to help tutor other students. Projects are not easy to find to fit in with their athletic schedule, academic schedule, part time job or other activities. Or IF some of the NHS students are also part of the 4H club or FFA club they could help with beautification efforts planting flowers in the common areas or helping with the equestrian areas (we're a horse friendly community with equestrian area/arena).
MarkM31

04/25/2016 9:34 AM  
Posted By ManuelR1 on 04/25/2016 9:31 AM
Residents only and their guest, not trying to hire cheap labor, it will be the same as asking for homeowners volunteers to do such work, but if we can have the teens involved and they earn hours then is a win win situation.

Sounds like you are trying to get cheap labor.

Why not have community service polishing wine glasses for the Rockefellers? This is work best paid for by the HOA, or done by residents. Trying to cut costs by using the schools is not right.
ManuelR1
(Georgia)

04/25/2016 9:42 AM  
MarkM31, so I assume that your HOA does not have any volunteers for committees, do they get paid? or your HOA board members also get paid? this means none of your homeowners volunteers their time to help out in anything? why are you trying to defer the conversation of a simple question to your sarcastic comments, I joined this forum to find out positive comments and suggestions not to read your sarcasm jokes, thank you any way for replying, I see where are you going. Have a great day and enjoy the rest of the week.
LarryB13
(Arizona)

04/25/2016 9:54 AM  
Manuel and Donna,

I agree with Mark. What you are seeking is free labor that will benefit only the members of your HOA and not the community at large. I cannot imagine any credible program that would equate performing work for homeowners who are fully capable of doing, or paying for, the job themselves with programs that benefit the entire community or those that benefit people who are physically and financially unable to help themselves.

HOA's are private organizations serving only their members and are not charities.
DeanaD1
(Tennessee)

04/25/2016 10:09 AM  
So I guess when we allow the Kiwani's to have their 5K that benefits students with generous scholarships on our roads and trails, that is not serving the community. Or when we allow the local riding club to have their horse trail ride complete with an auction of various items that benefits them on our properties, that we're just a selfish rich ole HOA trying to get cheap labor.

Has no one ever noticed the "adopt a mile" or "adopt a road" sign along the highways and bi-ways around the country?
ManuelR1
(Georgia)

04/25/2016 10:09 AM  
LarryB13, now this kind of feedback is greatly appreciated! that is exactly my point as to where is considered seeking free labor vs volunteering to improve the neighborhood common areas and have teens helping out. So far I reached out to one of the local high schools and to my surprise they said it was ok; there could be two ways to do it, one is the student needs to submitt their time sheets as long as they can be verified, so they suggest to provide a letterhead stating the works performed, dates and times and the contact person (signature cannot be parents or siblings), the other way was to contact all of the high school clubs and let them know about the activities available, the clubs will post and make them available for students to sign up, at the day of the activity a sign up sheet with hours and signature is required. To my surprise they even stated that some communities offer the baby sitting as part of their community service.
BanksS

04/25/2016 10:27 AM  
I have never heard of this and have worked in a small public community school for several years. I also live in a rural area in an HOA development. I can't imagine my HOA board requesting this type of volunteer service. I think it's a bit unethical. With that being said, do you have elderly and disabled folks in your HOA? I would lean more towards facilitating help for those folks. They often need assistance with chores both inside and outside their homes.

This just not fill the spirit of volunteering in my opinion. Just my opinion of course. Others may feel differently.
BanksS

04/25/2016 10:29 AM  
Posted By BanksS on 04/25/2016 10:27 AM
I have never heard of this and have worked in a small public community school for several years. I also live in a rural area in an HOA development. I can't imagine my HOA board requesting this type of volunteer service. I think it's a bit unethical. With that being said, do you have elderly and disabled folks in your HOA? I would lean more towards facilitating help for those folks. They often need assistance with chores both inside and outside their homes.

This just not fill the spirit of volunteering in my opinion. Just my opinion of course. Others may feel differently.

Left out a word in my last sentence. Meant to say This just does not fill the spirit of volunteering...
DeanaD1
(Tennessee)

04/25/2016 10:32 AM  
Posted By BanksS on 04/25/2016 10:27 AM

Around here the churches do that. And guess what, they are 98% comprised of the same NHS kids from the high school. Our HOA is a mix of ages. We don't discriminate. Against the law.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/25/2016 12:55 PM  
Posted By LarryB13 on 04/25/2016 9:54 AM
Manuel and Donna,

I agree with Mark. What you are seeking is free labor that will benefit only the members of your HOA and not the community at large. I cannot imagine any credible program that would equate performing work for homeowners who are fully capable of doing, or paying for, the job themselves with programs that benefit the entire community or those that benefit people who are physically and financially unable to help themselves.

HOA's are private organizations serving only their members and are not charities.

I agree.
KerryL1
(California)

04/25/2016 3:16 PM  
I'm entirely with John & Larry. But perhaps Deanna's and Manuel's larger communities/municipalities are extremely wealthy with no needy, elderly or handicapped people who could use assistance with their daily routines. Maybe there are no single parents who could use a hand with childcare while they work to try to support their families. Why? Because all jobs in this town pay a whole lot.

Maybe everyone is food-secure so there's no food panty that needs to be organized and tended, or community gardens for the hungry. Maybe there are no special needs kids who could use tutors that their parents can't afford. Maybe there are no dwellings with dementia patients in them whose caregivers could use a break a couple of hours a day. Maybe there are no poor folks who could use a coat of paint on their house or fence or get their old car fixed by the auto shop kids.

All parks, public playgrounds, sidewalks, library grounds, city a f hall bounds are pristine because everyone can afford high taxes.
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/25/2016 3:53 PM  
Manuel,

Our Board discussed this a few years ago and chose against it.

Many on the Board, myself included, have participated in school fund raisers. Our experiences were that only a few would actually do the work and the work was never up to expectation.

Even though we had the PE Coach, who we knew would over see the group, pitching the idea we decided against it.

We were also concerned of the liability issues if anyone got hurt (which is more likely with teens being teens then with contractors).
BanksS

04/25/2016 4:02 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/25/2016 3:16 PM
I'm entirely with John & Larry. But perhaps Deanna's and Manuel's larger communities/municipalities are extremely wealthy with no needy, elderly or handicapped people who could use assistance with their daily routines. Maybe there are no single parents who could use a hand with childcare while they work to try to support their families. Why? Because all jobs in this town pay a whole lot.

Maybe everyone is food-secure so there's no food panty that needs to be organized and tended, or community gardens for the hungry. Maybe there are no special needs kids who could use tutors that their parents can't afford. Maybe there are no dwellings with dementia patients in them whose caregivers could use a break a couple of hours a day. Maybe there are no poor folks who could use a coat of paint on their house or fence or get their old car fixed by the auto shop kids.

All parks, public playgrounds, sidewalks, library grounds, city a f hall bounds are pristine because everyone can afford high taxes.

Good points Kerry. There are so many opportunities for these students to get in their community service hours. The list is endless and it doesn't take much effort to find some way to help others besides cleaning up a private park and power washing a private clubhouse.
MarkM31

04/25/2016 8:13 PM  
Posted By ManuelR1 on 04/25/2016 9:42 AM
MarkM31, so I assume that your HOA does not have any volunteers for committees, do they get paid? or your HOA board members also get paid? this means none of your homeowners volunteers their time to help out in anything?

The HOA board and members are owners of the HOA property and equipment, so there is no way you can equate owners maintaining their own property to dragooning high school students into pressure washing a private clubhouse so the students can fulfill the community service requirements they need to graduate.

I still maintain you are after free labor, and any youth entity which would agree to this is out of their minds and possibly jeopardizing any 510c(3) standing they have.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/25/2016 9:26 PM  
A HOA most likely does not fit into the community services requirements. Which would disqualify the kids hours for community services. Plus like others have said. It puts the HOA's status into question as a corporation be it an non-profit or for profit type.

I would talk to the actual community services to find out if your HOA would qualify before proceeding. A HOA isn't a community service or a charity. Just because it's run by volunteers doesn't mean it's a volunteer organization.

Former HOA President
MarkM31

04/25/2016 9:33 PM  
But you don't have to pay the kids to clean the pool and polish the wine glasses
TimB4
(Virginia)

04/25/2016 9:55 PM  
Posted By MarkM31 on 04/25/2016 9:33 PM
But you don't have to pay the kids to clean the pool and polish the wine glasses

Paid or not, you still have liability issues if someone gets hurt.
Paid or not, you still have to live with the quality of the work (or the need to pay someone to redo it).
MarkM31

04/25/2016 9:58 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 04/25/2016 9:55 PM
Posted By MarkM31 on 04/25/2016 9:33 PM

Paid or not, you still have liability issues if someone gets hurt.
Paid or not, you still have to live with the quality of the work (or the need to pay someone to redo it).

I was being sarcastic and facetious
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

04/26/2016 9:24 AM  
Manuel,

Simply check with the HOA insurance company and see if there are any pitfalls to allowing community service by high school students. If it qualifies, why not offer the opportunity so the students can get their hours in?
CjC

04/10/2019 1:06 PM  
We use high school kids to run some social activities for kids and get hours. Egg hunt in the spring, activities at the holiday party in the winter. Might even use them to coordinate games at the summer pool party. Everyone wins really, kids get hours and have fun, adults get a "breather"...
GenoS
(Florida)

04/10/2019 2:03 PM  
Old thread re-activated for spam.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > High School Students Community Service Hours..

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement