Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, May 20, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Board busybody
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CherylH
(Georgia)

09/15/2005 6:00 PM  
Any tactful ways to deal with 2 busy body board members who go out of their way to seek violations. Our ccr states all complaints must be addressed, their complaints are petty to the majority of the neighbors and the remaining board, but a complaint none the less. They are board members and take actions upon themselves which is often forceful and offensive to our neighbors. They want to do an annual inspection of everyones home, meaning coming onto property and walking all around. They are now trying to force the adoption of a POA. We only have 40 homes, very small community, we feel we don't need the POA. Others feel the POA will give them too much power. This year we are going to paper ballots to vote, instead of show of hands. This is my first year on the board and I'm ready to quit.
LisaS
(Illinois)

09/17/2005 10:02 AM  
How many Board members are there? In our association, violations need to be addressed, however we all (5 of us) review them before proceeding and have letter templates we use for all violations. If we do not have a majority vote to proceed, we do not.

I assume you are 40 single family homes? Unless specifically noted in your Declaration/CCrs etc. the Board would have no authority to 'inspect' anyone's home or yard unless they did so from the public sidewalk. It would be trespassing to proceed uninvited into private yards.

I can just see the police coming to cite all of yoru busybodys for trespassing!

CherylH
(Georgia)

09/17/2005 11:31 PM  
We are 40 single homes. There were 7 on the board up until yesterday. The 2 busy bodies quit. I found out that they have done this before when they have not had their way. I like the idea of the majority board members to approval for sending out letters etc.. I like the common sense approach. Thank-you.
LisaS
(Illinois)

09/18/2005 8:20 AM  
Wow- I can't believe you have (or rather had) 7 Board members. It seems like alot for only 40 homes.

If your 'busybody' members have quit before- why on earth did anyone ever put them back on! I would have thought that after one time, their lack of ability to 'play well with others' would have been obvious.

Best of Luck,
Lisa
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement