Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, September 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Solar Street Lights
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MikeS1

06/24/2015 8:58 AM  
Has anyone installed or used Commercial Solar Street lights as an alternative to running underground lines to traditional community street lights? We are looking at possibly supplementing our lighting plan in some areas in the community. There are a lot of new products out there and we were just looking for ideas. If anyone here has used or installed these, please let me know.
MarkM31

06/24/2015 10:51 AM  
Haven't seen a product yet that performs well enough to work year-round as a street light with supplemental line voltage. It takes a lot of umph to be a street light.

This will undoubtably change in the future
GlenL
(Ohio)

06/24/2015 11:51 AM  
Mike there was a newspost here a couple of years ago about a HOA in (I think) Connecticut that changed over to solar street lights but they were a hybrid of sorts with a solar panel canted to shed snow and a small wind turbine to keep the batteries charged even at night.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/24/2015 12:50 PM  
Mike,

I've looked into it a little bit a few years back. If I recall correctly, the cost of the initial install, and replacement batteries every x years, Reserves for replacement, etc., made it a very long time before the financial reward was materialized when compared to contracting with VA Power to install another watch light (which they maintain) and the slight increase in monthly electric bills.

Of course, we are in a town home community that would be more compact then a detached home development.

I'll see if I still have any of the research.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/24/2015 12:52 PM  
Do a search for parking lot solar lights and there is a fair amount of info available on the net.
MikeS1

06/24/2015 1:30 PM  
Thanks Tim - I think that they battery technology has changed a lot in the last two years.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/24/2015 2:14 PM  
However, they will still need to be replaced at some point in time.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/24/2015 3:12 PM  
For decades the press has eagerly publicized exciting breakthroughs in battery technology. Imminent availability of new and improved products is always right around the corner. These reports are almost always premature and overly optimistic. The fact remains that vast riches await whoever is able to come up with a true breakthrough in battery technology. Don't believe the hype.
LarryB13
(Arizona)

06/24/2015 8:42 PM  
Posted By MikeS1 on 06/24/2015 8:58 AM
Has anyone installed or used Commercial Solar Street lights as an alternative to running underground lines to traditional community street lights? We are looking at possibly supplementing our lighting plan in some areas in the community. There are a lot of new products out there and we were just looking for ideas. If anyone here has used or installed these, please let me know.

It seems like a street light would require a lot of power. That means a large solar panel and large batteries, both of which would seem to be tempting targets for theft or vandalism.

I live in Phoenix, which ought to be the solar lighting capital of the universe and I cannot recall ever seeing solar street lights.

TimB4
(Virginia)

06/25/2015 3:38 AM  
Mike,

I looked and can't locate my research on solar powered street lights.

Sorry,

Tim
MikeS1

06/25/2015 12:15 PM  
Thanks Tim.
ChrisK7
(Georgia)

06/28/2015 7:09 PM  
http://www.solarstreetlightsusa.com/

This company provides exactly what you are looking for.. but again when we looked the cost was prohibative
MikeS1

06/29/2015 6:58 AM  
Chris - Great Stuff - Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/12/2019 1:34 AM  
Thread reactivated for the purpose of posting spam.
Poster was reported.
BobB31
(Florida)

06/12/2019 1:55 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 06/12/2019 1:34 AM
Poster was reported.

How does one do that?
MikeS1

06/12/2019 5:29 AM  
Tim - Everything has changed - They are now using solar street lamps from Solar Illuminations in Florida.
They work great and are priced reasonably. Beats the inordinate cost of trenching.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/12/2019 8:43 AM  
It's still spam. Solar power discussions are great. Shilling for a particular company is not.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/12/2019 4:10 PM  
Posted By BobB31 on 06/12/2019 1:55 AM
Poster was reported.

How does one do that?

Mouse over "HELP"
Click on "Contact HOATalk Support"
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/12/2019 6:18 PM  
Posted By MikeS1 on 06/12/2019 5:29 AM
Tim - Everything has changed - They are now using solar street lamps from Solar Illuminations in Florida.
They work great and are priced reasonably. Beats the inordinate cost of trenching.

Mike,

Thanks for the update.

Hope you and yours are doing well.

Tim
BobB31
(Florida)

06/13/2019 6:22 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 06/12/2019 4:10 PM
Posted By BobB31 on 06/12/2019 1:55 AM
Poster was reported.

How does one do that?

Mouse over "HELP"
Click on "Contact HOATalk Support"

Ohhh! That was intuitive ... not!

Thanks, Tim
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Solar Street Lights

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement