Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, May 25, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: TimB4
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MikeL13
(South Carolina)

11/17/2014 11:01 PM  
I've been reading this forum for approximately 1.5 years and have learned so much. Tim, how in the heck have you become so knowledgeable in so many areas? You seem to have information about every state and nearly every situation possible. And in a good way not a Cliff Clavin way. lol

Thanks for the education.
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/18/2014 12:05 AM  
Mike,

Thank you for the kind words. I learned how to wade my way through HOA documents from other members of this forum who were kind enough to help me learn.

To me, the key issue is to try not to take things personally, it may simply be the way the other person knows how to express their frustration. Try to look at things from the other person's perspective (heck we have all been there). It might not change your way of thinking but it may help us better explain your thinking to others. Do research. It's better to say, let me look into this, then to respond with an off the cuff answer that you may have to retract or try to defend.

I've gotten good at doing the research.

My military training taught me to read government regulations.

My military training taught me to differentiate between quantitative answers and fluff.

Military also taught me there may be many ways to achieve the same goal and if your willing to listen someone may have a better way.
RayC4
(Virginia)

11/18/2014 6:29 PM  
Allow me to second the kudos to Tim, as I have admired his many thoughtful posts on this forum. Aside from the research efforts he generously shares, he manages to cut through many complex situations by staying focused on "what is the result the poster is actually trying to get to!"
EmmaH1

11/18/2014 10:48 PM  
Agreed I'm a big fan too, I've read hundreds of posts and see TimB4's name often. Always knowledgeable, intelligent, understanding and patient answers. He does not agree with everyone but is always respectful. I think he should teach classes or hold seminars for both boards and members! (and maybe some of the others that answer questions here---lol) (sorry couldn't resist
NancyG3
(North Carolina)

11/19/2014 2:57 AM  
Add me to your list of admirers. You certainly have helped me in the past. Thank you for being on this forum.

Nancy
CfD
(Virginia)

11/19/2014 6:00 AM  
I too have been lurking on this site for years, but only recently started posting. Being another HOA homeowner in Virginia usually has me looking for Tim's posts first. I share a lot of his views and appreciate the no nonsense way he presents facts, not fluff. Appreciate your insight Tim.
BobD4
(up north)

11/19/2014 9:01 PM  
Lots of excellent value when commenters back up their insights with links dug to hard data, acts, articles etc. Thanks very much to Tim & others.
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/20/2014 1:29 AM  
All,

I appreciate the kind words. Please keep in mind that I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for other posters on this site who had helped me when I came here with my problem.

I still recall the assistance I received from Jon who, through his style, had me look at things from a different perspective. Glen who ensured I understood my governing documents. MaryA1 (no longer a member) who challenged my findings which made me strengthen my position with additional resources. Roger, who had me understand things from the Boards/MC perspective. Bruce, Melissa and countless others who initially helped me - THANK YOU!

To everyone who continue to help me, keep me on my toes, and pose questions that I research to try and find answers to and learn from. THANK YOU!

JonD1

11/20/2014 3:39 AM  
Why thank you Tim For the honorable mention. Nice to know in your view I have style. While some others might use other terms!
In most cases there is actually no need to reinvent the wheel someone somewhere has been there and done that. Sites like this as advertised
provide a place for finding the "wheel" that might be what you are looking for.

Glad to know something I said benefitted you and perhaps some others. I had thought all along getting people to considercothercpossibilities in what they know and how they thought was one of the purposes of this site. After 27 years of serving on our Board even I had to learn something.
And coming here to share some of what we have figured out along the way can be a good thing.

If you put your "listening ears " on (Judge Judy's term) and set aside your preconceived notions of how things SHOULD be versus what actually is there is hope you can walk away with more than you came in with. But the best advice in the world is worthless if you don't listen and put it to use.

Living in an HOA being involved is hard work and comes with a price. The other option remain comatose to the future of your home and largest investment.
Many folks do. But in my opinion government provided solutions and control or court involvement as a last resort are crap shoots at best.
The best solution is owner involvement, owner operation and owner governance. In the end good or bad the owners either promote good
community governance or allow poor performance by Boards and MCs. In the end you only get back what you yourself and your neighbors put in.

Nobody protects your assets as you should......

So Tim keep up the good work you most certainly are an asset to this site.
BanksS

11/20/2014 4:48 AM  
I too will join the TimB4 fan club. He knows his stuff and conveys his knowledge and wisdom most respectfully. I have also learned a lot and respect the opinions of Larry from Arizona and Kerry and Richard who have an abundance of knowledge about California and Davis Sterling. Although not applicable to the Hawkeye State, very interesting to read about.

Keep up the good work. - Banks
CyrstalB
(Maryland)

11/20/2014 5:42 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 11/20/2014 1:29 AM
All,

I appreciate the kind words. Please keep in mind that I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for other posters on this site who had helped me when I came here with my problem.

I still recall the assistance I received from Jon who, through his style, had me look at things from a different perspective. Glen who ensured I understood my governing documents. MaryA1 (no longer a member) who challenged my findings which made me strengthen my position with additional resources. Roger, who had me understand things from the Boards/MC perspective. Bruce, Melissa and countless others who initially helped me - THANK YOU!

To everyone who continue to help me, keep me on my toes, and pose questions that I research to try and find answers to and learn from. THANK YOU!

Our HOA is all the better for the help I've gotten from everyone mentioned here! I've learned so much from each of you!

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/20/2014 7:24 AM  
Sorry my bandwagon broke down on the trails getting here... I am here now and beating a drum... Even if it's my own... LOL!!! I like you style and wish mine was a bit more like it... Have a good day!!!

Former HOA President
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/20/2014 5:53 PM  
I agree! Tim has shown it IS possible to get things done in a HOA if you're patient, believe in what you're doing and are willing to do the work! It may take longer, but it's cheaper than duking it out in court (sometimes that IS necessary, but I prefer to try everything else before taking that route).

I understand people want to know whether there's a law for this or that, but sometimes it's simply a matter of applying common sense, being wiling to listen and asking lots and LOTS of questions. Most of all, it's about getting out of your comfort zone and acting with integrity (people who want to do nothing but create confusion will be exposed pretty quickly).
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/20/2014 6:01 PM  
I compliment Tim for the many things he has done for this chat.
RobertM25
(Florida)

11/21/2014 10:03 AM  
I too have learned so very much in the past 5 years Thanks again
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

11/22/2014 5:38 AM  
I have to jump in here and offer my thanks to Tim too. What I have particularly noticed is that Tim is willing and able to do the research to help others out and provide sources where others can obtain information. Honestly, I don't know where Tim gets the time and the energy, but many have benefited from his efforts and contributions, I'm sure.

Kudos. Keep up the good work, Tim.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

05/07/2019 3:13 AM  
I've been away from this forum for a while.

Back when I was active, this thread stood out. Tim was in a special position and highly respected. It wasn't just his clear explanations and tireless research, it was also his efforts to keep the forum on a positive track.

Things are different now, and for the better. Tim's efforts to keep the forum on a positive track have been taken on by others. And Tim is able to sit back and make clear, concise comments when he chooses to step in. Selective participation, but always worth reading.

I applaud you Tim for making this transition and for your impact on the forum. Well done my friend.

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/07/2019 7:01 AM  
Tim,
While reading all these comments and agreeing with everyone I did not notice this thread started 5 years ago.

I guess you are ready for the HOA Talk Hall Of Fame

But don't retire we still need you.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

05/07/2019 7:33 AM  
Tim is a good man.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement