Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  assessment question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MisterS
(Florida)

07/14/2014 10:24 PM  

Question the association is assessing the carport owners to update and improve the appearance but are refusing to produce a clear estimate, they only say they got bits sent us the bill with he cost but not details of the work ? Oh and that since the carport is ours we need to obtain our own insurance? We obtained a few estimates with a reputable company, and theirs are $4000.00 less? Majority of the owners requested a detailed estimate, they are ignored. Any suggestions or any similar experience?

TimB4
(Virginia)

07/14/2014 10:32 PM  
Ask to view the financials. This should show you the invoice.
Ask to view contracts. This should show you what work was done.
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/15/2014 8:06 AM  
Not unusual that you should get your own insurance.
What do your HOA/Condo documents say about calling a special meeting?

Je publie un degagement de toutes responsabilite. Read all posts at your own risk.
KerryL1
(California)

07/15/2014 8:44 AM  
So the Board already accepted a contract? Is the work already completed?
MisterS
(Florida)

07/16/2014 6:56 PM  
The work has not been done yet, they refuse to show the invoices or contract?
MisterS
(Florida)

07/16/2014 7:01 PM  
The Board obtained bits and sent us the bill without justifying the cost or sharing with those paying the itemized invoice, and answering your question the work is not completed. Thank you
The issue is that I believe those paying should know what they are paying for don't you think?
KerryL1
(California)

07/17/2014 10:49 AM  
In CA, upon written request to the Board or property mgr., whoever is you "agent" of record, owners may receive board-approved contracts.
contracts.

But what about FL. There often have been questions from Florida folk about reviewing such materials, but I don't recall the answers. I b believe you are entitled if you follow the proper procedure.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/17/2014 11:45 AM  
I had to fight a special assessment because they did it as a "blanket". They were like the extra money collected would go into savings and other projects. However, technically a special assessment should ONLY cover the cost of the work estimate. Which is something I and others fought against in my HOA. It was also work that did not need to be done and could be done for much less. It was a horrible mess where I did have to hire a lawyer and force my HOA to take the proper steps and vote for a special assessment. I did lose in the end due to the lies the board told about me. 6 months later many people came up and apologized when they discovered the truth on many levels. Matter of fact acting me to return as President. (This issue even included a physical attack on me at our board meeting).

So yes, I understand a lot of what your going through. It is good your people are asking questions. They are owed a special meeting or even a vote to decide FIRST to have the special assessment. There should be atleast 3 bids to review. The contractors all licensed and insured. The money needed to be raised needs to be split EQUALLY amongst ALL owners/members. It's not just the carport members.

I would go to the next meeting with a group and ask for the special assessment vote to be taken. Quote it from your documents on how this process is to work. It is in there. This should help put more perspective and teach everyone how to run things right. You may or may not get the votes needed for the work. However, atleast ya will learn how to properly apply this process.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > assessment question

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement