Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, July 20, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: COMCAST wanting Retail Service Agreement without BULK service in community
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TerryG1
(Florida)

10/24/2013 4:09 PM  
Our HOA severed ties with Comcast bulk services and each homeowner is on their own.

COMCAST has sent the Board documents regarding a Retail Service Agreement. States it is NOT a bulk service proposal and no financial obligation.
It is a TEN YEAR agreement and offers the HOA $9300 as incentive.

If ALL residents are on their own, why would Comcast need a LEGAL agreement with the BOD for 10 years?

If someone has already received this bulky 'agreement' would you give some input before we try to decipher exactly what Comcast is up to? Are they demanding 'exclusive rights' so that competitors cannot put THEIR wiring etc?

The red flag was offering the $9300.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/24/2013 4:33 PM  
Are they demanding 'exclusive rights' so that competitors cannot put THEIR wiring etc?

Ask to read the agreement. Simplest solution.

Chances are, there is more than one cable company in town... or will be. Comcast wants to lock them out and is willing to pay you for that right.
TerryG1
(Florida)

10/24/2013 5:15 PM  
Steve, I have the documents. Was trying to avoid spending time trying to understand all their 'cable' talk and paying an attorney.

Was hoping others have received similar documents. One para states that the 'Association desires to provide broadband services to the Premises, including but not limited to, multi-channel video, high speed data, information and voice services and Comcast is willing to install, maintain and operate a broadband communication system for such purposes on the Premises. Sounds like a BULK services to me.
WHAT DOES THIS all mean?

None of us on the BOD are into all the 'technical' mumbo jumbo. The HOA did not ask for anything. Each owner is now able to get whatever company they want. Comcast wants a list of ALL of our homeowners.
The HOA cannot enter into a bulk service agreement with another service provider. So the HOA is going to sign a 10 year agreement with Comcast,get an "incentive" for doing so and then the individual homeowners are all under the Comcast umbrella!

TEN YEARS is a long time in this day and age of technology, so this too is a red flag for us.

ANY help would be appreciated!
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/24/2013 5:36 PM  
Terry

If a deal sounds to good to believe then.......etc.

I can see no way Comcast is going to pay your association $9.3K unless it is a "lock in" for them and only them to provide service.

Think about it. Pay $9.3K and people can choose other services?

TerryG1
(Florida)

10/24/2013 5:47 PM  
John, you have that right! We had Comcast for 14 years and it was a good deal for basic cable, which an antenna can give most channels for FREE. That is another story.
HOWEVER, the BOD opted to decline this year due to all the OTHER options out there and people getting FREE services and NOT paying the HOA fees. Eliminating CC decreased our quarterly fees and made them more affordable.

THIS came out of the blue and as soon as I saw the 'incentive' I knew it wasn't a good sign. As you can well imagine, the documents are quite numerous and none of our BOD has the technical expertise to really understand what they really are wanting to do. Just don't want the BOD members to be DAZZLED by the $9300 coming into our bank account and be blinded by details of what we are binding our HOA to. MONEY, as you know, and Comcast hopes, will be the 'deciding' factor. Not for ME. I am only ONE of 5 which is why I really want to understand what this is all about.

The "no cost to the HOA" and "no obligation" blah blah blah can swing the decision to go with this based on just the windfall. Catch my drift?

THANKS for responding!
KevinK7
(Florida)

10/24/2013 9:44 PM  
Posted By TerryG1 on 10/24/2013 5:47 PM
John, you have that right! We had Comcast for 14 years and it was a good deal for basic cable, which an antenna can give most channels for FREE. That is another story.
HOWEVER, the BOD opted to decline this year due to all the OTHER options out there and people getting FREE services and NOT paying the HOA fees. Eliminating CC decreased our quarterly fees and made them more affordable.

THIS came out of the blue and as soon as I saw the 'incentive' I knew it wasn't a good sign. As you can well imagine, the documents are quite numerous and none of our BOD has the technical expertise to really understand what they really are wanting to do. Just don't want the BOD members to be DAZZLED by the $9300 coming into our bank account and be blinded by details of what we are binding our HOA to. MONEY, as you know, and Comcast hopes, will be the 'deciding' factor. Not for ME. I am only ONE of 5 which is why I really want to understand what this is all about.

The "no cost to the HOA" and "no obligation" blah blah blah can swing the decision to go with this based on just the windfall. Catch my drift?

THANKS for responding!

Do you have the contract in file format? I am curious as to what the wording is.
DaveD3
(Michigan)

10/25/2013 4:10 AM  
Any and all residents can currently get cable-based services from Comcast?
What need could there possibly be for the HOA to enter into a contract? Seems a bit pointless.
FredS7
(Arizona)

10/25/2013 5:03 AM  
Since you are disinclined to sign onto a contract you don't understand, just state that you will not even consider it until you receive a plain-language contract.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

10/25/2013 6:12 AM  
There are different programs.

- One program is for the HOA to pay a fixed rate to Comcast for all the homes in the HOA. Then people pay the HOA as part of thier dues for cable. The HOA would receive one big bill and pay it like any other expense.

- Another program is for the HOA to give Comcast exclusive right to be the only cable company in the HOA. So others like Fios, ATT, Time Warner cannot offer competing services. For this right, Comcast is willing to offer this HOA $1,000 year. Likely based on thier size, etc.

- Another option would be to stay out of it and let people decide what they want for themselves. Personally, I would choose this.
TerryG1
(Florida)

10/25/2013 2:21 PM  
APPRECIATE all the help!

OK, this is what I was able to summize

COMCAST knows FIBER OPTICS is coming and CABLE will be a dinosaur SO
BRIBE HOA's into being dazzled by $ and make THEM EXCLUSIVE...not so fast

They want a list of names/addresses of our residents
Access to our easements
DO NOT want us to allow ANY OTHER bulk providers for our residents
In 10 YEARS technology WILL change from CABLE and they DO NOT WANT ANY COMPETITION
The HOA has to pay TAXES on their "$$$$ incentive"

According to our Property Manager, we got out just in time from the CC contracts and allowed our residents MANY other options.

$$$$$$$did NOT sway us as we have an obligation ALL our residents not just the 'bottom line.' We don't need their money THAT desperately!

DaveD3
(Michigan)

10/25/2013 4:40 PM  
I'm still confused as to why ANY HOA would enter into an agreement with Comcast or any other provider of any similar service. What benefit is there to the residents by locking them into anything of the sort?
FredS7
(Arizona)

10/25/2013 5:31 PM  
> What benefit is there to the residents by locking them into anything of the sort?

It is at least imaginable that a company might offer lower rates in exchange for exclusivity.

The difficulty is that cable and internet service is a very dynamic business and long-term contracts may not turn out to be a good deal.
LauraR5
(Tennessee)

10/28/2013 8:56 AM  
Comcast offered our association around $20K for a similar agreement. While he'd had several communities that had accepted these offers, our association attorney said it was too new to no how it would go in the long run, and we ultimately rejected the deal.

Our issue was that it was unclear what would be the responsibility of the association and the responsibility of Comcast regarding the cable lines in the community and to and from houses.

If you have questions about it, I can probably go back in my emails and find the attorney's notes on this.
LauraR5
(Tennessee)

10/28/2013 9:18 AM  
I went back and looked at my notes. Basically, Comcast wants associations to enter into a service agreement with them over other television providers. So Comcast becomes the "preferred" provider of your community. While homeowners are free to choose whatever TV service they want, you cannot enter into another agreement with DISH, AT&T, etc.

Our biggest issue was with who controls what lines and easements and all that stuff. Basically, the way our agreement read, if we went into this with Comcast (and I think it was $100 per home that they offered us), and a neighbor used a different service that jacked up Comcast's lines that we gave them, the association may be liable for the repair bill (Comcast never gave us a straight answer on that). I know a friend of mine had DISH installed and they ran through the cable network box on the outside of her house and when she got Comcast internet the guy yelled at her because DISH wasn't supposed to use "their" box, so I'm guessing that's what that meant. (Although when I specifically asked that because my DISH is run through my cable box, they said that was fine.)

At the end of the day, the whole thing just seemed too good to be true. Why would they give us so much money with what perceived to be little benefit?
DaveD3
(Michigan)

10/28/2013 11:19 AM  
I simply don't understand why an HOA would find it necessary to meddle in such a thing that each owner can do on their own.
JamesB25
(Indiana)

01/27/2015 5:42 PM  
My HOA is currently in this negotiation with Comcast.

A couple questions for the originator of this post:

1. How many units are in your community that they offered $9300 in their original bid. (IE, how much did they offer per unit in your community).

2. Did you go back with a counter-offer to Comcast? If so, how much did you counter?

Has anyone else gone through this negotiation process? I'm looking for hard numbers on what was negotiated as final deals, per unit?

- James
AllisonD
(Florida)

01/27/2015 6:14 PM  
Be very careful with this contract. We are in the 3rd of 10 year contract. Our Master Board (I was not on the Master at that time) negotiated the deal, we also got bonus money. They contract says they can increase rates by 4% per year. They told the Master Board that they rarely raise rates....haha, what a joke that was. Not only have they raised the rates the max each year but they can raise the fees and taxes as much as they want and they have. The bonus money is not nearly enough. We have hired a consultant to help us, not sure what he can do but he is working on something. At our recent annual meeting, all homeowners requested we opt out completely on the next contract. I do not think we need to amend our documents either because they say the amount for cable must be included in the budget each year, and if that number is zero then so be it. Please give the bulk contracts serious thought. We regret it so.
JonD1

01/27/2015 7:24 PM  
Not sure what this contract actually says but we had a cable service for 20 years. Each unit owner bought the service if they chose to do so.
Several years ago Verizon came calling wishing to install FIOS. They offered to pay per unit to install their equipment at no cost to us and not with any promise they were to be the sole provider on the property. They wanted access to common areas for installation and board cooperation plus the ability to advertise. We agreed they paid us around $13,000 and then a few years later resigned for $10,000 more. Every owner still has a choice of service providers and the installation required mounting some of their hardware on the outside of our buildings. The property gained $23,000 and gave the residents a choice they never had before. Not all bad in the end.

Good luck.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

01/28/2015 4:14 AM  
Posted By TerryG1 on 10/25/2013 2:21 PM
APPRECIATE all the help!

OK, this is what I was able to summize

COMCAST knows FIBER OPTICS is coming and CABLE will be a dinosaur SO
BRIBE HOA's into being dazzled by $ and make THEM EXCLUSIVE...not so fast

They want a list of names/addresses of our residents
Access to our easements
DO NOT want us to allow ANY OTHER bulk providers for our residents
In 10 YEARS technology WILL change from CABLE and they DO NOT WANT ANY COMPETITION
The HOA has to pay TAXES on their "$$$$ incentive"

According to our Property Manager, we got out just in time from the CC contracts and allowed our residents MANY other options.

$$$$$$$did NOT sway us as we have an obligation ALL our residents not just the 'bottom line.' We don't need their money THAT desperately!

SMART!!!

When anyone goes above and beyond to convince you it smells like roses … it usually is dung in the long run.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

01/28/2015 4:19 AM  
The main item where there should be a "red flag" is when any service provider wants to EXCLUDE any other options or choices for owners.
JonD1

01/28/2015 5:20 AM  
While the OP admits to not having read the proposed contract nor having the ability to comprehend the details it is difficult for me to determine just what COMCAST is proposing. Are they in fact asking to be the exclusive service provider? Or is this an assumption.

Also, here the cable service has upgraded their system and has remained a viable option to FIOS not been eliminated by the presence of FIOS.
In fact the cable provider still services the majority of property owners here.

I would suggest you determine what the proposal actually says and requires. That would represent " due diligence" to me. That allows an informed decision rather than assumptions and misunderstandings.

Good Luck.

When we signed up to have FIOS installed we had a small group of residents whine and complain because they thought it did not benefit the property.
In the end they were wrong.
JohnB26

01/28/2015 7:32 AM  
? are they offering money to prevent an exclusive contract with OTHER providers ?

? would the individual HO still have individual freedom of choice about provider w/o paying for Comcast either directly or via HOA ?

if yes + yes, grab the $$$ and run

if either is no, simply run
DeniseM7
(Minnesota)

09/30/2016 8:47 AM  
Please HELP. I am on the board however the other board members voted to give Comcast a service agreement for 10 years. It has not been signed yet so I have a little time. Does the board have this right to give right of entry etc.? Our assoseation a CIC and has been wired science 70s. Every one has the provider of their choice Comcast, dish etc. Any info to stop the board from signing this contract???
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/30/2016 11:12 AM  
Denise, signing with comcast will not prevent others who want dish. They will end up possibly paying for both (once through dish and once as part of the assessments for the minimum).

All you can do is read the contract and see what, if any, term the Board may have an issue with and call for a revote.
Since the Board has the authority to grant such sole access through common area, and decisions on a board are made by the majority, this may simply have been a battle you lost.

Also, it's best to start a new topic then to reactivate an old one.
DiannB2
(New Hampshire)

06/28/2018 5:10 AM  
My hoa is looking at this Comcast contract right now. I suspect that they think that Verizon will be bringing Fios to our area soon. Does anyone know how to verify that? I have looked for info from Verizon but have hit dead ends. The posts on this topic are years old. Have any of the posters signed the contract? Can you provide any updates?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/28/2018 6:24 AM  
Whew ... sounds like everyone needs to be very careful. The up front money is to get you focused on that rather than year x.

Re fiber vs copper - while fiber is a better technical solution that may have big impact in the future - most households do very well with copper (coax) based systems. It depends a lot on what the data delivery architecture looks like upstream of your house.
GenoS
(Florida)

06/28/2018 2:13 PM  
Posted By DiannB2 on 06/28/2018 5:10 AM
My hoa is looking at this Comcast contract right now. I suspect that they think that Verizon will be bringing Fios to our area soon. Does anyone know how to verify that? I have looked for info from Verizon but have hit dead ends. The posts on this topic are years old. Have any of the posters signed the contract? Can you provide any updates?

Hi, Diann. It's probably better to start a new thread because the bulk of this one is very old, especially since technology, the cable companies, the high speed internet providers.... all of those change significantly over time.

Having said that, I was under the impression that Verizon was "done" with FIOS and that whatever was built out will stay that way but they were no longer going to expand the service to new areas. They can make more money with wireless technology (3G, 4G, 5G etc) than they can with fiber.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

06/28/2018 9:31 PM  
Sorry - anothe old thread.
DiannB2
(New Hampshire)

06/29/2018 8:36 PM  
Thanks Gino, I wasn't aware. Now I have homework to do to see who's coming with what wireless technologies. I appreciate your input!
DiannB2
(New Hampshire)

06/29/2018 8:43 PM  
Thanks George, Just saw your response. copper is fine for current technology. I'm just wondering about committing to it for 10 yrs :-)
I appreciate your input!
Off to do my research!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > COMCAST wanting Retail Service Agreement without BULK service in community

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement