Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, June 21, 2018

SBCA: Free education for HOAs and condos on satellite placement issues.
(National Trade Organization)
Helping HOAs, condos and property managers with satellite placement issues since 1986.
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Glass in Pool Area
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AlexM1
(Oklahoma)

05/27/2013 11:26 AM  
It is not only against our HOA rules but the County and maybe the State (not sure on this) that glass WILL NOT be taken into a pool area.
Glass bottles,etc are, however, taken into the pool area and nothing that I know of can be done to stop it.
We post signs but primarily renters(short term renters) intentionally ignore it. We ask them which condo unit they
reside in and they say they do not know or tell you to go to hell. If a pool inspector caught them, the inspector would
close the pool for a week or so. How is this policed in other areas?
JohnB26

05/27/2013 11:41 AM  
DEFINATELY against all 50 state's codes

you enforce by either:

by calling local law enforcement and pressing TRESPASS charges if they refuse to comply / leave

if they are not identified they are assumed to be trespassers

if they ARE identified the penalties go against THE MEMBER OF THE ASSOCIATION

OR

the BOD is empowered to close the pool AT ANY TIME at its sole discretion ~ and MUST DO SO if a safety violation is not IMMEDIATELY corrected

then let the 'peer pressure' from the other would be users take care of the issue

'key fobs' for ID, pool attendant during strictly limited hours of operation, volunteer 'pool committee' attendants, etc.

cameras to prove/catch violations

ASK YOUR LOCAL HOTEL / MOTEL how patrons bringing glass to the pool are handled - they are ejected from the pool area with L.E. assistance if necessary

POOLS ARE EXPENSIVE
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

05/27/2013 11:41 AM  
Hi Alex,

The best chance you have of tracking usage is if your pool gate offers electronic access. Usually a keycard system will contain log data about which properties access the pool in the time frame of the glass usage. If pool users won't tell you, that's about all you have. Yes, it's a serious health code violation that, if glass breaks, can lead to pool closure, water drainage w/ refill and re-inspection. I worry about pool glass much as an HOA president.
AlexM1
(Oklahoma)

05/27/2013 11:51 AM  
Yes, police could be called and use the word trespassers BUT... the police WILL NOT tell
a board member where(which condo unit) the villain resides.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/27/2013 2:38 PM  
Tell their landlord if it can be determined. Call the police if they are not owners. Establish a fine policy for those owners who do violate the rules....

However, my favorite may be to actually close the pool and post for everyone that is closed due to glass being found. Mind you that you don't have to actually find glass... You could be closing the pool just to shock it. However, I would just post up a sign and watch the buzz start. I had to close the pool before for floating poo or diapers got loose. Which I posted that as a reason. The pool should be closed during the cleanup and shocking of the pool anyways. Just enough to get those aware that this is an issue and has consequences...

Or you could find some fake blood and make footprints from the pool area...Plus put up the sign... Now that would definitely get your point across...

Former HOA President
CarolR11

05/27/2013 2:52 PM  
First JohnB26, & then Melissa suggest closing the pool for a period of time & letting peer pressure discipline the violators. I kind of like that idea. We have security staff here who'd tell the violators to throw away the glass or leave the area and that's worked just fine when glass (very rarely!) is brought to our pool area. When we have had a violation, the violators always have been apologetic, pleaded ignorance and complied--we're 43% tenant occupied. So I'm not sure why your pool users, Alex, are so rude??

But, say, to phone a member of the board and ask him or her to speak to the violators is probably too much. And I'm sure that the perps do give out false names/addresses, etc. We do have fob access to the pool so probably could figure out the violators if they lie to our staff.

How many units are in your HOA again, Alex? I think you've mentioned it before.
GlenL
(Ohio)

05/27/2013 3:00 PM  
Posted By AlexM1 on 05/27/2013 11:51 AM
Yes, police could be called and use the word trespassers BUT... the police WILL NOT tell
a board member where(which condo unit) the villain resides.

No but they fill out a report that lists it and the report is a public document which you can review or copy for a few dollars.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/27/2013 3:15 PM  
Honestly, I am all for the promoting of "Urban legend" here. A simple rumor about how some renter's kid got hurt by some glass at the pool and the pool had to be shut down/drained usually gets the message across. I would simply do this during a routine maintenance and be in cohoots with the pool keeper. Anyone asks why the pool is closed say there was some suspected glass found in the pool.

You can threaten or inform people all the time about the glass. Until they can no longer enter because of it...It will send the message home. It will let them all know the HOA is serious and does take care of the pool. Rules aren't just rules. They are put into action.

Although I still like the idea best to fake a bit of a bloody scene just outside the pool area... I know that is a bad idea as they will demand the pool be drained. However, if the pool is being drained anyways... May be the perfect opportunity to put a little rumor and "scene" into play...

Former HOA President
AlexM1
(Oklahoma)

05/27/2013 5:36 PM  
Yes.... never thought of that.
CarolR11

05/27/2013 6:55 PM  
I do not agree that creating a story about closing the pool is wise.
AlexM1
(Oklahoma)

05/27/2013 7:33 PM  
What about any legal ramifications.... If the Board makes no positive moves to correct anything... can that come back to haunt it?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/28/2013 1:24 AM  
Oh please... There has been an urban legend story about kid's eating apples with razor blades in them at Halloween... The only time that probably happened is in the movie Halloween... People still won't trust an apple from strangers. So I say this is one of those harmless stories that cultures have passed amongst themselves for years hiding a true life lesson. Don't use glass bottles at a pool... It's just dumb.

Former HOA President
JohnB26

05/28/2013 5:21 AM  
...in order for sarcasm to be effective the receivers must actually be sentient beings

CarolR11

05/28/2013 9:16 AM  
What I WAS suggesting is that you do close the pool saying that you as a board must protect all residents and the constant presence of glass by the pool is a hazard that cannot continue. That way, Alex, the Board demonstrates it's trying to solve this problem. When you do reopen the pool after a week or whatever, let the residents discipline the violators.

I don't know about your HOA, Alex, but draining the pool is very infrequent in my HOA. It's not done unless absolutely necessary due to the expense of refilling it. Our sewer bill is tied to our water usage and is more than 100% of our water bill. In our case, the expense of getting our heated pool back up to temperature affects our gas bill too. Maybe it's way cheaper to drain/refill a pool elsewhere--I don't know.

Urban legends like the razor blades in apples actually have caused harm because so many parents believed it across the country that halloween no longer is nearly as much fun for kids as it used to be. IMO the truth is a better approach.

As Glen points out, Alex, you will be able to get the names/addresses of the violators from a police report, so call the police.

Again, Alex, how many units are in your HOA? And --how often is glass at the pool? Every day? Once a week? Once a month?
JillS6

05/28/2013 10:55 AM  
agreed
JillS6

05/28/2013 10:58 AM  
I agree with Carol...no lies, no games. Truth is best. Sometimes when people are told the truth - that the pool can be closed down due to the glass - they will comply.
JohnB26

05/28/2013 12:00 PM  
the pool MUST be closed when glass containers are not PROMPLTY removed from poolside

AND

the pool MUST BE DRAINED for a THOROUGH visual inspection if any glass is broken / or seen IN pool, such as bottles or even eyeglasses (intact eyeglasses may be removed w/o drainage)

ps. your pool needs to be on a separate water meter unless it is drained into a public sewer system
MatthewW4
(Arizona)

05/28/2013 1:22 PM  
Here's another suggestion.

Post a security guard at the pool entrance during open hours. Charge anyone who enters a fee to cover the cost of the guard. Let everyone know that this has come about because of glass in the pool area and that the guard (and the entry fee) will go away when the glass stops coming in but will return if glass becomes a problem once again.

The guard could also verify whether the users are residents and which units they reside in. Your association could also issue a numbered pool pass to each unit. No pass, no entry will keep out the non-residents and the guard can note which units are causing problems.

I hate to see that happen but it sounds like a complex with a lot of rowdy renters.

BTW, I used to know a guy who was the managing partner in a number of small to medium sized apartment complexes. He said every complex that had a pool had a tenant problem and the complexes without pools were also without tenant problems.

JohnB26

05/28/2013 1:49 PM  
it has now been confirmed:

POOLS ARE EXPENSIVE

;)
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/28/2013 2:47 PM  
Posted By JohnB26 on 05/28/2013 1:49 PM

POOLS ARE EXPENSIVE

From my research, they are as expensive as owning and maintaining the roads.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

05/28/2013 4:50 PM  
After reading all, I think the best action (short of full time staff) is to shut the pool down for a few days (after the kids are out of school and pool usage is high) for a few days to clean up broken glass.

As part of this shut down remind all of the ban on glass containers in the pool area. Ask all to help in policing/controlling the problem to prevent adittional shut downs.

You get a couple of super mommies with their kids screaming about the pool being shut down then those super mommies will confront anyone with a glass containers. As will cantankerous old people that cannot use the pool.

Pi$$ of the super mommies and the cantankerous old people.........LOL

JohnB26

05/29/2013 12:16 PM  
if you '...shut down....to clean up broken glass.....'

make sure the pool is drained, visually 'swept', then refilled and started up properly

if you had broken glass on deck this is REQUIRED to ensure no invisible pieces are on the pool bottom

you must learn to lie PROPERLY without leaving potential LIABILITY

eg. lie about glass to 'give a lesson' ~ fail to follow through with draining and inspecting ~ someone cuts themselves ~ VOILA, lawsuit due to negligence

also hits 'em in their purses ~ ?special assessment to pay for water & chemicals?
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

05/29/2013 12:19 PM  
From my research, they are as expensive as owning and maintaining the roads.

Roads are much more expensive. I can maintain a pool myself. I can't pave a road myself.
JustinD1
(Georgia)

06/13/2018 7:19 AM  
It's a $5000 mistake if glasses is dropped poolside. Never allow it!
JanetB2
(Colorado)

06/13/2018 8:06 PM  
Posted By AlexM1 on 05/27/2013 7:33 PM
What about any legal ramifications.... If the Board makes no positive moves to correct anything... can that come back to haunt it?

Anything contained in your CCR’s which is not upheld can come back and haunt you. Are the items contained in your CCR’s which are attached to everyone’s property or are they Rules and Regulations which is determined by a small BOD?
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/13/2018 8:24 PM  
5 year old thread
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

06/14/2018 5:41 AM  
The police cannot be counted upon to enforce a "No Glass" rule at the pool. They'll help w/ drunk pool users but I've never had any luck getting them to enforce HOA and health code rules. I wish they would!
GenoS
(Florida)

06/14/2018 2:01 PM  
You have to pay them. Like, out of your wallet.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement