Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 27, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Can hoa evict us
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JasonL1
(Florida)

01/20/2013 4:31 AM  
I'm recently married and moved into my wife's rented condo, which she has rented for 2 years. After moving in the hoa tells me our landlord never filed for a leasing permit and that we will receive an eviction notice soon. They say that by their rules only 30% of the units can be rented and that our landlord will have to wait until a spot opens up to be able to rent. I'm very confused as my wife turned in her leasing agreement to the hoa both years and they never mentioned this. I'm wondering if they can evict us and how long it would take.
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/20/2013 5:24 AM  
Jason,

Your asking a question that we just don't have the information to answer. It will depend on what is written in your lease and what is written in the Associations governing documents. You will likely need to take these documents to an attorney or legal aid for good advice on your issue.

From what you posted it's an issue between your landlord and the Association (not you and the Association or you and the landlord).

My suggestion, keep paying your rent on time and speak with your landlord about the issue.

A quick internet search did turn up the following article that may or may not be helpful:

FL Newspaper article titled Does Florida law allow HOAs to evict tenants?

If you are renting a unit in a condominium, you might want to contact Florida's
Office of the Condominium Ombudsman. It's mainly set up for owner/Association issues but language on the site specifies it helps all affected parties. Therefore, they may be able to shed some light on the issue for you. If your not in a condominium, they might not be able to assist.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/20/2013 8:13 AM  
Normally I would advise that the HOA can NOT evict a tenant as the HOA can NOT interfere with the contract between and owner/tenant. The HOA does NOT actually own the home and thus has no rights to evict anyone. Renters have rights too. Your landlord would ultimately be responsible and would have a a case against the HOA and NOT you as the tenant. Rental restrictions can not be enforced even if written in the documentation.

Having said all that. Florida is indeed a "different apple" with their HOA rules/laws. So it would be hard for many of us NOT from Florida to give the proper advice. I would take Tim's information he posted and worked with it. Otherwise it is your landlord's battle to fight if they want to take this on.

Former HOA President
LarryB13
(Arizona)

01/20/2013 1:02 PM  
Jason,

This may boil down to a question of how much time and money are you willing to spend to continue living in a condo that you do not own?

While I personally favor restrictions on rentals, most of them are full of defects that would not stand up to a challenge in court. But that raises the question of whether your landlord is willing to take on the association for you or will you have to fight both the association and your landlord? Or maybe just you versus the landlord? If the association persists in trying to oust you, this can get messy and expensive.

Florida has some of the screwiest property laws so I would not even want to guess at whether the association can evict someone else's tenant.

One of the big points in your favor is that your wife submitted two leasing agreements in as many years without objection from the association.

JeanneK3
(Maryland)

01/20/2013 1:09 PM  
Jason:
Check state law. Maryland has all sorts of protections for people who rent in Condo's and HOAs. And I don't believe an association can evict anyone.
Jeanne
CarolF
(Florida)

01/21/2013 2:31 PM  
Jason - is it possible that the landlord has not been paying the HOA assessment?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement