Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Approval of minutes by director absent at meeting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
VictoriaV
(Illinois)

07/13/2012 7:41 AM  
If a director was absent at a meeting say on June 1 and the board is then considering the June 1 minutes at the June 25 meeting, can the director who was absent at the June 1 meeting approve the minutes or should he abstain because he was not present at the June 1 meeting?
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

07/13/2012 7:51 AM  
Posted By VictoriaV on 07/13/2012 7:41 AM
If a director was absent at a meeting say on June 1 and the board is then considering the June 1 minutes at the June 25 meeting, can the director who was absent at the June 1 meeting approve the minutes or should he abstain because he was not present at the June 1 meeting?

He should abstain.

Approval of the minutes means that the director agrees that the account recorded in the minutes is a true account of what he remembers actually transpired at the meeting. If the director was not present at the meeting he doesn't know what actually transpired unless another director told him (which is not the director's personal observation) or he has psychic ability.
CarolR11

07/13/2012 7:53 AM  
According to Robert's Rules of Order, directors who were absent may approve the minutes.
CarolR11

07/13/2012 7:56 AM  
Uh, oh, Bruce knows a lot more about this than I do. But I feel certain I read it in a Q&A discussion about Robert's and will look it up later.
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/13/2012 7:57 AM  
Ahh, the two words that make life difficult - can & should.

Can he approve, yes. As a director he is allowed (and entitled) to cast a vote on all matters requiring a vote before the board.

Should he abstain - that's a matter of perception.

Any Director has a right to cast a vote in the affirmative (yea), in the negative (nay) or to abstain from voting. It's their decision. Should they have abstained? that's an opinion based on the perception and personal opinion of the individual asking the question. That perception has zero basis on the the Director choosing to exercise the option of abstaining or not.

Typically minutes are first read. Then there are motions to amend (if needed) with votes on each motion. Then there is a vote of approving the minutes as amended.

Personally, it's my opinion that if the Director wasn't at the previous meeting, they should abstain from any vote to amend the minutes (as they really don't know what was or wasn't said). However, once any motions to amend are done, I see no harm in them voting to accept or reject the minutes (as it's likely they will vote with the majority of the Directors).

VictoriaV
(Illinois)

07/13/2012 7:58 AM  
So what exactly are they approving then if they don't know what really occurred at the meeting? Just that the minutes "read" correctly. I am not doubting you...but can you point to the section in RRO? I have been doing association and corporate minutes for years and the questioning of this has not really come up until now!
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/13/2012 8:07 AM  
They would be approving that they accept the minutes as being an accurate account of what happened at the previous meeting.

Two sides of the same coin, they have no basis to believe that the minutes are accurate or inaccurate. Therefore, typically, they are taking the word of the other directors and the secretary (who is intrusted with taking accurate minutes) that the minutes are accurate.

Remember Roberts Rules of Order is only a guide unless a State law or your governing documents require that they be followed. Most Associations used modified versions of the rules. What I mean by that is that they follow the rules as they understand them but do not strictly adhere to their procedures. (i.e. every issue might not be in the form of a motion, every motion might not be seconded, etc.).
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/13/2012 8:11 AM  
Here is a link to Parliamentary Procedure Online! frequently asked questions page. Per that site:

Can a member vote on or second a motion to approve the minutes of a meeting that he did not attend?

Yes, absolutely! There is no requirement in Robert's Rules of Order that a member have first-hand knowledge of something before voting on minutes or other motions. In fact, a motion need not be made regarding the approval of the minutes. The chair says, "Are there any corrections to the minutes?" Members may offer corrections, and when there are no further corrections forthcoming, the chair says, "If there are no further corrections to the minutes, they stand approved as corrected... the next item of business is..." or if no corrections are offered, "If there are no corrections to the minutes, they stand approved as read... the next item of business is..." Note that there is no second involved in this process. For more information, refer to RONR (10th ed.), pp. 343-344.
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

07/13/2012 8:23 AM  
Posted By CarolR11 on 07/13/2012 7:56 AM
Uh, oh, Bruce knows a lot more about this than I do. But I feel certain I read it in a Q&A discussion about Robert's and will look it up later.

Aaaahhhh, you're going to make me go to the book, aren't you?

OK. I was stating my personal opinion, not Roberts Rules.

Tim is correct, a director may vote however he pleases, or he may abstain, according to his conscience. There is nothing in Roberts Rules that states that a director must abstain if he wasn't present at the meeting.

However, Roberts Rules does say that a formal vote to approve the minutes is not necessary (although it is permissible). If copies of the minutes have been provided beforehand, the chair (or president) can say "since the minutes have been previously distributed, unless there is no objection we will dispense with the reading of the minutes." If no one objects, the chair goes on. Whether or not the minutes are read, the chair can then simply ask, "are there any corrections to the minutes?" Corrections are normally handled by unanimous consent with no formal vote being taken. Following this, the chair can state something like, "if there are no (further) corrections, the minutes stand approved (as corrected)." Again, approval is by unanimous consent unless someone objects. No formal vote is taken, thus there is no "abstention". This implies that the director who was absent is consenting to the approval of the minutes. He is not likely to object since he was not present at the meeting.
VictoriaV
(Illinois)

07/13/2012 8:23 AM  
Thank you everyone!
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

07/13/2012 8:31 AM  
Posted By TimB4 on 07/13/2012 8:11 AM
Here is a link to Parliamentary Procedure Online! frequently asked questions page.

Another excellent source is the Roberts Rules Official Site, Question and Answer Forum. This forum is monitored by Daniel Honemann, one of the editors/authors of Roberts Rules. It's the source I usually use.
CarolR11

07/13/2012 9:17 AM  
Ah, Tim, thanks for finding the exact source that I saw a couple of years ago. That's when our board stopped using motion, 2nd, vote to approve the minutes. Saves a bit of time. We directors get the draft minutes in our packets about a week before the meeting.

i actually have asked for an amendment to minutes for a meeting that I didn't attend. Seems like it had something to do with an invited plumbing expert, who wasn't listed on the draft minutes, but whom I knew had been present.

Thanks, Tim for the ParliPro.org site. I think it was Bruce who offered Robertsrules.forumflash.com a few weeks ago which also is useful.
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

07/13/2012 9:51 AM  
Posted By CarolR11 on 07/13/2012 9:17 AM
i actually have asked for an amendment to minutes for a meeting that I didn't attend. Seems like it had something to do with an invited plumbing expert, who wasn't listed on the draft minutes, but whom I knew had been present.

If the other board members who were present have no objection to entering that into the minutes, I don't see any problem with it.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Approval of minutes by director absent at meeting

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement