Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Rules of Order...or Procedure. IS THIS NORMAL?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LizB2
(Maryland)

06/24/2012 1:20 AM  
When I first moved into our community we used Rules of Procedure. I just attended a meeting and volunteered for our Architectural Committee and I'm a little surprised at how our General Meeting is run and also the Board Meetings. We no longer use the Rules of Procedure but rather the President runs the meetings more like a controlling Elementary School Teacher. It makes everyone feel uncomfortable. Is it normal to stop using them in a small HOA? If so does anyone have any ideas on how to improve the communication within an environment like this?

I'm new to this, but sure willing to learn. Any thoughts are truly welcome.
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/24/2012 5:01 AM  
Liz,

Typically Roberts Rules of Order are only required if specified as required within the governing documents or State law. Many Associations use them as a guide rather than strictly adhere to them. Who is presiding over the meeting will likely determine how the meeting is ran.

It's likely that the other Board members live with the uncomfortableness because no-one wants to take over that position. Otherwise, the Board typically has the authority to remove the member from the Office (but not from serving as director).

As the Fairfax County Community Association Manual states, the purpose of board meetings is to conduct the business of the association. If this is being done, I would recommend that you table this concern until the next election and then vote the person off the Board.

Trying to fix everything at once will typically be too overwhelming. I'd suggest working on those areas you have direct control of first, then move into other areas of concern.

Hope this helps,

Tim

LizB2
(Maryland)

06/24/2012 10:09 AM  
Thank You Tim, That does help. Since we are only on the Architectural Committee and can be removed by the BOD at any moment, we're slowly pushing for changes and getting results. Luckily, although very tired, the other members of the BOD want the same changes. It's just the President that likes the status quo. Unfortunately, her contempt for the homeowners is affecting our Annual Meeting turn outs and Board/Committee participation. Basically, moral throughout the community is low. We'll keep working with what we have and be grateful for the other members of the BOD that are supporting our efforts in the meantime.

I'm also going to research some of the websites you recommended.
CarolR11

06/24/2012 1:23 PM  
I think you're doing the right think by not trying to get too much done too quickly. It's important that a majority of the board support your committee.

Do you think that a majority of the board would be willing to remove the prez from that office? And that a different director would be willing to serve as president? This could really perk up morale in your HOA, which, in turn, might revitalize owners' interest in maintaining their homes (per your other post).
LizB2
(Maryland)

06/24/2012 4:06 PM  
I agree Carol. But, no one has wanted to run for our HOA for years because of this Prez. One of the Officers is there basically in name only because he is exhausted after 10 years, another is appointed and the other is a lovely lady, but not suitable for the position. At least they are on our side and voting for everything that we are going after which is a blessing in itself.

Thank You for your reply. It's nice to be able to hear how other HOA's operate and hear how ours is normal or abnormal. It helps to clarify which direction we need to focus.
CarolR11

06/24/2012 5:21 PM  
Our bylaws specify that we must use some form of parliamentary procedure, and we use Robert's Rules for Small Boards (we are seven).

But, until you can get others to seek election to the board, you are, indeed lucky to have support of the majority.

You also may be able to convince the board to start a newsletter if you don't have one, and have it reflect a positive outlook .

Six years ago, we had a terrible board here--the prez was the worst of the lot. I formed & chaired a building committee (our common areas were looking very shabby), there were 7 members, we treaded lightly but got board approval for many low-cost improvements. Six months later 2 of us were elected to the board. A year later we "good guys" had a majority on it.

Our committees here have often supplied new directors since then.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Rules of Order...or Procedure. IS THIS NORMAL?

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement