Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, August 24, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  ex- Board member Personal records
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JkF

08/30/2011 11:02 PM  
When a Board member resigns, if I understand correctly the peronal files that the BOD member has maintained do not need to returned to the HOA, is that correct!
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/30/2011 11:34 PM  
It depends on what they are.

As an example:

If the ex-board member had communicated with other members in the capacity as a board member those should be part of the Association record.

If the records are copies of items that were handed out at open board meetings, then those wouldn't need to be returned as the Association already has copies.

If the records are communications between Association legal adviser and the ex-board member, they should be part of the Association record.

Work product for a report that was already submitted to the Board wouldn't have to be returned. However, if the report wasn't made then the information should be returned for the next person to finish.

Basically if it's a copy of something the Association already has there is no need to return it.

If you care to share, what are the specific records as this may provide better advice?

Hope this helps,

Tim
TimB4
(Virginia)

08/30/2011 11:34 PM  
It depends on what they are.

As an example:

If the ex-board member had communicated with other members in the capacity as a board member those should be part of the Association record.

If the records are copies of items that were handed out at open board meetings, then those wouldn't need to be returned as the Association already has copies.

If the records are communications between Association legal adviser and the ex-board member, they should be part of the Association record.

Work product for a report that was already submitted to the Board wouldn't have to be returned. However, if the report wasn't made then the information should be returned for the next person to finish.

Basically if it's a copy of something the Association already has there is no need to return it.

If you care to share, what are the specific records as this may provide better advice?

Hope this helps,

Tim
LawrenceC1
(Georgia)

08/31/2011 12:54 PM  
As Tim points out, there are some things that ought to be part of the Corporate record and passed on to the next board, and some things that don't matter.

Each HOA should adopt a written document retention policy, listing in detail those things that are part of the Corporate record, and where they will be kept. Such things as official correspondence, bids received from contractors, and minutes of meetings are examples of things that would be included. Notes, spreadsheets, and photographs from social events are some of the things that most likely would not.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

08/31/2011 7:10 PM  
I like Lawrence's perspective. Little emails and notes would swamp a property manager's files. Contracts and meeting minutes and official records matter, but every board member should have a copy of those.

KellyM3
(North Carolina)

08/31/2011 7:10 PM  
I like Lawrence's perspective. Little emails and notes would swamp a property manager's files. Contracts and meeting minutes and official records matter, but every board member should have a copy of those.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

08/31/2011 10:55 PM  
My situation with my HOA when I left is that during my term our secretary sold her home and moved away. Our rules state the President can NOT act as secretary. The secretary's responsibility was to take meeting notes. Since we couldn't replace the Secretary until the next election, I took my own personal notes from the meetings. When I turned over our records I removed ALL my meeting notes as they would not be considered official. That protected me and the HOA in the future.

I think records of responses to other board members are essential to keep. A one-sided conversation doesn't do much. It's important to keep a history for future use if possible.

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > ex- Board member Personal records

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement