Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, November 21, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Sample Letter of Resignation
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AlexL1
(Florida)

07/05/2011 9:02 AM  
Has anyone on here seen any excellent sample letters of resignation from the Board? In particular, naming individuals as reasons for the resignation?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/05/2011 9:06 AM  
The best letter of resignation has no explanation attached...

A letter of resignation that has explanation attached...is a backslap and copout as you walk out the door. You still have to live in your HOA and it's not like the neighbors/HOA board just left your life. You just made them angrier...

My suggestion...Quit with your head held high and a skip in your walk. It's their problems now NOT yours. You've made the decision NOT be involved anymore.

Former HOA President
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

07/05/2011 9:38 AM  
I agree with Melissa, there's no requirement, nor need, to give a reason for resigning. Perhaps doing so might make you feel better (for the moment), but it's not likely to change anything.

It's too bad you feel that you have to resign because of other individuals, but I wouldn't recommend stating that as a reason.
SusanW1
(Michigan)

07/05/2011 12:11 PM  
I don't see any reason why you can't state the reason for the resignation.

Don't name individuals, but do list issues, i.e. concern about decorum at meetings; lack of proper bidding procedures, etc. is OK.

It might even save your butt later if the board is doing something illegal or in violation of your own documents.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/05/2011 12:27 PM  
IMO if you have issues you want to state as reasons for resigning then you have unfinished business you shouldn't be resigning for. You lose your power if you resign from a board position. A position that can influence change.

A resignation letter pointed toward any area of reasons of quiting just stirs up the pot. A good letter wouldn't need to include reasons. It would be understood why a person quits. If it's not then that needs to be discussed.

Former HOA President
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

07/05/2011 1:06 PM  
Alex,

Keep in mind also that the homeowmers elected you to the board (assuming you were not appointed by the BOD to fill a vacancy) because they placed their trust in you. Would you be letting them down by resigning? It may be OK to give a reason as Susan suggested, but keep personalities and/or accusations out of it.
EbonyJ
(Tennessee)

07/05/2011 2:31 PM  
I agree with some other posts, only state reasons if you think that decisions that the board is making will make the HOA end up in court, only then I would state my opposition to what they are doing. It is very difficult to serve on HOA boards because so many people have alternative motives ex. kickbacks etc..
TimB4
(Virginia)

07/05/2011 2:39 PM  
Alex,

Personally I believe that unless there is a time crunch or a family issue, an individual elected to the board should serve their term. Even if every idea they have is dismissed and you don't agree with the decisions being made, the fact that you are there serves as a reminder that someone is watching what is going on. This makes it harder to hide anything from the membership and might actually prevent things from getting worse.

However, if you believe that resignation is the only way to deal with the issues then a simple 4 word letter works:

"I resign effective immediately."

Tim
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Sample Letter of Resignation

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement