Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 23, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  BOD fiduciary duty
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MikeH12
(California)

06/29/2011 12:16 AM  
we have 200 condo units and 15,000 sq ft of shopping center mixed project in california.
we had property management company, and when developer release this project, BOD fired PM and went in self management. we have 5 BOD 1 commercial(shopping center) 4 condo owners.(* one of them is cemmercial side 's wife) fYI husband and wife in as BOD. they said self management will reduce HOA dues, OK great !
so year ago, Our HOA due was reduced 15% ,great. now we learned, that after commercial HOA due also reduced 15 %
2 month lator commercial side owner reduced another 20% only for them. when we asked other 3 BOD, they didnt know that. when BOD adjusting HOA dues, don't they have to go thru members Voting procedures commercial owner is running management for their favor, they even changed their liablility insurance under HOA coverage, commercial side had resposible for their own security, cleaning, repair and insurance after PM is gone, they are tryig to mix everything with HOA. what can we do? should we call police or dept of realestate. even if we mentioned in board meeting, they are keep ignoring us. help
TimB4
(Virginia)

06/29/2011 12:29 AM  
Mike,

I'm going to be of the expectation that your governing documents gives the Board the authority to do what they are doing. With this expectation, the only thing you can really do is inform the membership and vote the bums out. I would suggest gathering the documentation to prove your statements and then start soliciting proxies for the next membership meeting. This way you will have a large enough voting power to vote those people off the board and start reversing what is happening.

Here is a link to Davis-Stirling.com website which can help you about proxies and recalls.

Tim
SusanW1
(Michigan)

06/29/2011 3:44 AM  
Mike - I wonder how you found out that an additional 20% dues reduction was allowed for the commercial part of the HOA? Since the other 3 board members didn't know, how do you know that info?
MikeH12
(California)

06/29/2011 8:55 AM  
one of BOD gave me information and I double checked on association accouting books, resulting commecial side owe HOA $13,000 and growing. Other 3 BOD confirmed there was no agenda, no approval, no minutes they just did change their commerical HOA due monthly invoice, to me this is illegal, we just firmed audit committy and going after them, but I know they will not cooperate with us. we need something very strong position to deal with them. any suggestion ? Many HOAmembers upset but their action is not strong enough.
JonD1

06/29/2011 5:50 PM  
Mike:

You don't have just a problem with the 2 BODs who you claim reduced their own costs you have a problem with the 3 other Board members not doing their job.

Just how do two Board members adjust the dues rates without the others knowing?

Anyone watching the books. Who collects the dues? Who handles the record keeping?
Let me guess the three other Board members, hear no evil, see no evil, and speak no evil well they turned it all over to the helpful commercial owners. How nice....

When are your Board elections? I would suggest you find out what the other Board members plan to do if anything and then work to remove your friends from the Board ASAP.

The police more than likely will be of little help. With 200 units I would make this information available to all of them and hopefully 20 or so might feel the need to act. My next move would be to seek legal advice if the eoections are far off. IF not I would work day and night to vote them all out if necessary.

One reality many people seem not to want to face is that you get what you allow.
You allow people to abuse the property and their authority in the end it is not their fault it is the property owners who are to blame. When you sit back and do as little as possible or nothing at all just what do you expect?

Easier to keep the car from running into the ditch rather than pulling it out once it's in there..........

Good luck.

MikeH12
(California)

06/29/2011 8:40 PM  
thanks a lot John !
I mentioned your thought to other 3 BOD and they agreed that they let it go too far.
finally they realized this is our home and we have to protect it.
again thanks mike
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement