Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 01, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Florida HOA giving away common property to certain residents including Board Members
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DavidS52
(Florida)

06/08/2011 5:57 PM  
Hello , my name is David and i live in Florida . I am currently living in a 600 home HOA , our Board of Directors is trying to give certain Residents a portion of our common property for there own personal use, let me give you a brief scenario of my problems. There are approx, 596 homes in our Community , each and every unit has a screened or non screened Patio, some have chosen to permanently enclose there patio , and are now using Common property for a new patio, they have gone as far as putting in patio pavers and so on. This is in Direct violation of our Documents , on both cases , #1 encroaching on Common property, # 2 permanently enclosing or structural improvements to exterior walls .

( our Board is trying to use this phrase in justifying them giving away common property )

ANYTHING herein contained to the contrary not withstanding , certain portions of the common property
may be reserved as LIMITED COMMON PROPERTY for the exclusive benefit and use of specific owners.

Please help me with these condo commandos, i need some one with up to date laws on FLORIDA H.O.A
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

06/08/2011 6:11 PM  
You have 2 issues and 1 goes beyond the HOA's reign. The first issue is the encroachment of the newer add on patio area. This isn't quite the violation you may be looking for. There is exclusive rights each owner has. The area is COMMON area where it is owned by ALL the neighbors. If the majority of owners/ACC/BOARD approves the use of this land to the owners as long as they maintain it and don't make it a HOA responsibilty, i have no issue with it. If the owners aren't taking responsibility, then that would be an issue.

The other is the enclosed patios. This is an INSURANCE issue. Enclosing space can effect insurnace coverages and even property taxes. This isn't the HOA's responsibility to handle this. The owners should notify their insurer that they have added additional enclosed space. Otherwise, it won't be covered in an emergency.

Former HOA President
EllieD
(Vermont)

06/10/2011 1:04 PM  
David S,

You did not say – are you a board Member? Also you said 596 homes – but to make sure, are they stand alone, and you are a HOA, and not a Condominium Association.

Sorry, I cannot offer any specific advice based on Florida statutes. But I have been involved in discussions re: whether or not to allow Limited Common Patios, not on the original plans, to be added later and built on Common Area property.

The phrase you quoted seems sort of familiar – I wonder whether or not, this refers to Limited Common that can be added – but only if the “top” document, your CC&Rs (or whatever the name) – is first Amended, in order to allow.

Hopefully, someone familiar with the Florida statutes will chime in.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Florida HOA giving away common property to certain residents including Board Members

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement