Get 6 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, September 01, 2014
HOA Websites by Community123.com (National Community Website Provider)
We built HOATalk and we'll build your community website for free!  Click here for information on a free trial website.
Community Associations Network (National HOA Reference Library)
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: How to get rid of problematic Section 8 tenants
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
IngridH1
(California)

01/06/2011 6:18 PM  
Our complex is a mess! Most units purchased were foreclosed and there was no HOA so we are in the midst of forming one. There are a few people on board of this project whereas others complain and do nothing more because they are in it just for the money. There is one woman who is on Section 8 and has had the police over twice in the last 6 weeks or so. Once the SWAT team came and busted down the door. I know that her housing is paying her landlord on time however the landlord is facing foreclosure. How can we legally rid ourselves of this woman and her brood before the owner has to give an official notice of foreclosure?
TimB4
(Virginia)

01/06/2011 7:02 PM  
Ingrid,

An Association has little authority over tenants and guests.

If anyone within an Association is breaking the law then the police should be contacted, as they have the authority and training to deal with those issues. The Association does not.

Tim

FionaC
(California)

01/06/2011 8:17 PM  
Tim is right.

However.... I must say I sympathize in your plight. When I moved in our building 9 years ago, it was well known we had a section 8'r here in the building. The resident herself was an elderly frail woman who was in poor health. She was NOT the problem. Howver, her grand daughter with her 3 kids and a 4th on the way was. The board here had complaints of cigarette butts outside the grounds left by them, noise, police constantly it didn't stop for a few years until..

The grandaughter verbally attacked one of our grounds keepers and filed assault charges. The grandaughters "boyfriend" verbally attacked a board member accusing her of being racist against them... little did this bright light know that the board member was biracial and in fact part the same race as he. It was ugly. The police were involved so much it didn't stop until charges were being brought up against the said individuals did they get the hint and leave.

Keep that local non emergent number at hand. If you think here is something bad going on like or someone's life is potentially in harm.. do 911. After awhile the cops and the neighbors constant involvement will be a deterrant for the renters..

It took time, but police is the way to go... be firm and consistent.
SusanW1
(Michigan)

01/07/2011 7:05 AM  
Who owns this unit?

THAT is the person who needs to be brought out on the carpet.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/07/2011 8:45 AM  
Sometimes people automatically assume problem tenants are section 8, but that's not always true - in fact, I believe there are conduct standards the tenants must follow to remain eligible for the program. In my community, we've had some section 8 residents (I don't think we have any at the moment) and a few did cause problems, but the majority were fine (in fact, a few could teach the HOMEOWNERS a few lessons about appropriate behavior and being a good neighbor!)

As others have stated, the person you really need to hammer is the owner - he or she is ultimately responsible for the behavior of the tenants (and the section 8 program requires landlords to keep the homes in a habitable condition).

So, if you KNOW FOR A FACT this lady is section 8, you might want to contact the local housing agency in your area that administers the program and see what you could do. Start documenting bad behavior, (dates, times, people involved and get statements from witnesses and photos, if possible). Perhaps if you send a nastygram to the owner and copy the tenant AND the housing agency, that might do the trick.
BrianB
(California)

01/07/2011 1:54 PM  
i just came to offer that their status as section 8 or not should have NO bearing on the actions taken.

A, B, and C are against the rules. It should not matter who does said actions, the punishment should be the same. If HOA president does A, the punishment should be the same as if world's worst tenant does A. That's fair.

I understand life isn't fair, and that it is legal to discriminate in a lot of situations, but a good board should strive to deal with the actions, and leave all the other stuff aside.
IngridH1
(California)

01/07/2011 6:31 PM  
Thank you all for your replies. I don't have a problem with the woman but her actions are ridiculous. So bad that the cops have been over twice as said by my tenants and other owners. I don't care that she is on Section 8 but given the eviction rules for participants, she is problematic. If I contact housing, she may lose her benefits, which is not my intention. I don't want to hear the police are there on account of her and that her guests are yelling at tenants.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > How to get rid of problematic Section 8 tenants

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement